Pentax Super Program

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Pentax Super Program

Post by Niner » Fri May 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Got one for $6 plus $5 shipping because of a defect to the camera body on one corner. Somebody must have banged it into something at some time. But.. the space behind the crack isn't in the film compartment so no big deal. This is Super Program number two for me. The first one I got for a total of about $20 looked perfect but had mirror lockup issues. I haven't been able to get around to figuring out how to fix that one yet.....though I've tried various things that didn't work. The seller of this latest one assured me that the camera fired and the mirror wasn't stuck...just the possible light leak and whatever else that could be wrong. So I took a chance by surmising that the crack wasn't in a place that would produce a light leak on the film and the rest of the camera might work. And it seems to have paid off in my favor for a change.

The Pentax Super Program camera was the top of the line Pentax non auto focus SLR of the mid 80's. It would, with a Pentax lens with the auto ability, do Full auto in that it would read the light and pick the shutter speed and the aperture if set to A on the lens...with manual focusing. Unfortunately, although it shows you the shutter speed it doesn't show you the aperture picked in full auto. Keep it in auto and take out of A on the lens and you select the aperture and let the camera pick the shutter. Put the selector in M and put the lens in A and you can pick the shutter speed with the black buttons up or down and the camera picks the aperture. Or put it in M and take the A off the lens and you pick aperture and shutter....my preferred way. And... the selections show up in two windows at the bottom of the viewing screen, and the shutter speed on top of the camera and... those selections are lighted up with the help of two windows in the top of the prizim housing.

Well... the meter works...sometimes you have to switch the selector back and forth to get it powered up. The M setting works probably best and most reliably. The indications show if what you have selected for exposure choices is right on or over or under and by how many stops. I liked that feature.

The biggest drawback for me is that the lens I was using was difficult to focus to the point of reliable sharpness with my old man crappy eyesight. However...for what I paid for the camera... I'm happy.
Attachments
DSC07933.JPG
DSC07930.JPG
DSC07927.JPG
DSC07931.JPG
DSC07935.JPG
img822.jpg
img823.jpg
img832.jpg
img837.jpg
img840.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Pentax Super Program

Post by Niner » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:03 pm

Haven't used in a while so I tried it out again. Had some problems getting the film to lock in and track. Thought I had it locked in but didn't after trying to shoot and advance. Put the camera in a dark bag, opened the back and got things going again. The shutter speed and plus and minus windows would now and again not seem to want to give me any information. But... the 1.7 Pentax lens is really sharp and the shutter speeds seemed to be working correctly. I'm not a big fan of this early 1980's camera.... mainly because of what made it special with the windows of number information in the viewfinder.
Attachments
img987.jpg
img987.jpg (502.92 KiB) Viewed 749 times
img974.jpg
img974.jpg (255.15 KiB) Viewed 749 times
img988.jpg
img988.jpg (294.06 KiB) Viewed 749 times
img968.jpg
img968.jpg (260.51 KiB) Viewed 749 times
img963.jpg
img963.jpg (328.55 KiB) Viewed 749 times
img958.jpg
img958.jpg (346.67 KiB) Viewed 749 times
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:29 pm

You post great photos of your area in Alabama.
But the Bluegill Restaurant has Flaming Oysters.... and that is just wrong on so many levels...... :lol: :lol:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:18 pm

Better than flaming hemorrhoids. I don't like them raw either. Like mine fried in a oyster loaf. No big oysters either....like baby oysters.