FujiFilm X-E3

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

FujiFilm X-E3

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:56 am

Coming to a camera bag near me in the next couple of weeks...............
Screen Shot 08-09-18 at 01.36 PM.JPG
I did a good deal on selling my Canon 60D / Tamron 18/400mm zoom / Canon 50mm prime and Metz Flash.

This X-E3 comes with an 18/55 mm lens but there are many others available. On paper it looks like a hell of a camera. One of the club members has one and his results are quite stunning...............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: FujiFilm X-E3

Post by Niner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:28 am

Considering the size of the sensor it ought to be really super. The down side would be that the lens is detachable and accordingly limiting to what you can buy for it.

I wanted a pocketable digital to replace one I had a long time that had developed a problem. After reading online about various ones....in a range under $500 I bought a Lumix DC-ZS70 because of rave reviews and all sorts of things it would do...like the view finder as well as the tilting screen. It has a really long zoom and takes 4k movies and does a lot of other things. But.... it only has a half inch sensor and in less than bright light it produces images with a lot of noise if not using the flash.

Having come into some mad money last weekend, I ordered one of the best spoken of pocket digitals of all time. It's the Sony RX100. It has a one inch sensor and gathers light well enough to produce a really sharp image at even large pixel counts. Another good thing is that is really smaller and more of a pocket camera than the one it is replacing. The down side is, although it has a built in very good lens it has only a small zoom range.

The one you are buying, admittedly about in the price range of both of my recent acquisitions added together, that super large sensor ought to produce super images in all light conditions. Give us a report when you have it and have tried it out, will you?

Here's a comparison between what you have on the way and the lessor Sony RX100.

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera ... ifilm-x-e3
Attachments
Sony.jpg
dc-zs70.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Like I said Robert, one of the members of our photographic club has one and the results are quite stunning.
The range of Fuji lenses is a little restrictive but you can buy adapters to take other makes of lenses.
Attachments
D 30 Jan 17.jpg
D 30 Jan 17 a.jpg
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:27 pm

A little photo shop for panache I'd guess....the total black background and making the shirt blacked out as well below the collar? Or did you have a sweater on and took it off for the profile photo? That profile photo is very historic photographer stuff. Professional looking results as good as anyone one would expect from a larger format old school professional film camera in both cases. Well done.

That full face photo with the black background seems a little grim...but classic none the less.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:02 pm

To give you an idea of a previous camera and it's results, this was taken with a Canon 350D using a Canon 18-55 mm lens on 16 May 2009. The camera had 8 megapixels.
BULLS-ROAD-FLERS.jpg
The same image but processed in Nik collection software only recently available.
WALLFLOWERS.jpg
This shows that software has improved as dramatically as the results that use it!

The difference between the Fuji that I have bought and the Canon's that I have previously championed is that I am starting from a much higher plain with the Fuji.
24 Mega pixels as opposed to 18 with my last Canon 60D.
Lenses that are much higher quality than the Tamron / Sigma lenses I used with the Canon's. ( That may be a stumbling bock so very gentle discussion about a new one with you know who :roll: )

The more that I investigate the Fuji system the more I am impressed with it. Expensive - Yes, Good quality - YES, Good selection of lenses - YES ( including a Chinese brand called Samyang which is less expensive than Fuji but NOT cheap )

So far I have a protective lens filter and a flash gun waiting tor the body and lens.............Echo's of a Schmidt-Rubin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:30 am

Well, I just received a 'bolt on' hand grip to make it easier to hold in my large mits.

Unfortunately I got a revised quote from the company I am doing the deal with to say that both the lenses I sent had got traces of algae in them and they did not want them!

I phoned them today and expressed surprise because the Tamron 18/400 mm is brand new! They apologised and said they would look again. They came back to me and said it was their mistake and they would take the Tamron as well.
( Not a scam because they said that if I didn't want to continue with the deal they would return everything FOC )

So, I have now paid for the Fuji and expect it next week along with the return of the Canon 50mm which I will have to sell locally. ( Just put it on our Photoclub site and it sold in 5 minutes :D :D )
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:24 am

Confirmation - it's in the post :razz: :razz:

And it has an Owners manual with it so I don't have to print off the 360 page PDF :shock:
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 pm

Would you actually read a 360 page owners manual? :bigsmile:
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:48 am

Not front to back Robert BUT it is good to have the info in your bag if you can....... The PDF would have been A4 size too :shock:
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:03 am

Actually, if that owners manual is like other ones the actual information is really a lot smaller story as much of the total number of pages is really the same information repeated in different languages. The important thing is if the information...in the language of your choice...is clear and detailed enough to understand what you want to know. I can start reading a Lumix manual on certain aspects and get confused and angry in a matter of minutes because of what it is not saying.