Minolta XG-1

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Minolta XG-1

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:12 pm

A mid line camera from Minolta from 1979. Got it for bid of $3.50 on ebay. It came with a film winder...only the winder was made for Canon. Oh well... I wouldn't likely have used it if it were the right one.

This Camera is really made for aperture priority. It will shoot in full manual ...but the light meter won't work except in "A" mode. Electronic shutter and won't work without batteries. It does have the ability to bracket two stops in either direction with a selection knob if in "A" for aperture priority. It has one of those windows that shows a red mark if there is film in the camera. Odd thing about it is that the red gets larger the more shots you take. The camera uses a wide range of manual lenses... MC, MD, that I have several versions of in my inventory. Some won't stay wide open when trying to focus at more closed down apertures. Makes for less well focused shots....like the one with the water fowl. The camera came with a Minolta 50mm.

The film auto winder port looks like a screw that would unlock to attach the winder...like lots of other such cameras...only the cap is actually an eight of an inch or so wider under the base plate. It doesn't come off accordingly and I had to take the base plate off to see why.

It has a battery check that you turn on in the on-off-self portrait switch. The light in front that would blink for self portrait comes on if the battery is ok. Not an altogether bad controls layout. It uses standard 44R batteries.

Verdict......check off another one tried, but would have liked the meter to work in manual. Not a favorite. It was worth more than I paid for it...but not much more as a photographic tool.
Attachments
DSC08141.JPG
DSC08142.JPG
DSC08143.JPG
img038.jpg
img040.jpg
img007.jpg
img022.jpg