When it hits the fan.............

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

When it hits the fan.............

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:30 am

...............it goes EVERYWHERE :shock:

During our week away last week I used to upload the days photographic images onto my laptop and do some processing in Elements. Up till Thursday evening I had about 160 RAW images with about 110 processed.
Don't know how I managed it but I knocked my wine glass over - it was full - and deposited the contents all over the laptop's keyboard. :shock:

I very quickly unplugged the power and turned the laptop up side down on a towel, took the battery out and also unscrewed the back and removed the hard drive.
It is, however, a very DEAD laptop.

Hopefully the hard drive has survived as there was no liquid on or near the connections. I have ordered this gizmo to hopefully transfer the files from the hard drive to my PC.
Screen Shot 10-07-18 at 11.23 AM.JPG
The only redeeming factor about the accident is that it was not expensive wine :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: When it hits the fan.............

Post by Niner » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:43 am

Hope that thing works in making the transfer. One thing about desk tops that beats laptops is that if your keyboard gets critically abused you can just toss it and get another one and don't ruin the actual computer parts. Good luck.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:53 pm

I tore my nephew's laptop apart when it died, indications were it was the processor. So I bought
one and tore the laptop apart, an all day project. (see photo). That wasn't the problem..... :evil:
So I bought one of these on Amazon for $9, stuck the hard drive in it and he just plugged it into his
new laptop to get all his kids photos. I like the way it completely enclosed the drive.

drive.jpg
20180802_174122 - Copy.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Holly crap, Vern, I didn't know you were that much of a techno repair guy. Anything I took apart that much would never work again for sure. :shock:
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Duncan,

In this case< "Vinum enim in exitium" not "In vino veritas".

Optima fortuna.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Everything I found online said it was most likely the processor, next likely was the motherboard.
Well it wasn't the processor, so maybe one day this winter I will get a new motherboard and hard drive
and tear it apart again. Have gone onto laptops before, but this was the first complete disassembly.
Way more complicated than I thought, no spare room anywhere......... :shock:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 am

Aughnanure wrote:Duncan,

In this case< "Vinum enim in exitium" not "In vino veritas".

Optima fortuna.
:lol: :lol: If it does that to a laptop so quickly think what years of it have done to my brain :loco:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am

Gizmo arrived today and worked faultlessly - all files recovered. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Duncan