Here is a 1942 radio

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Here is a 1942 radio

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:48 pm

I inherited this from my parents. They were going to toss it out 20 years ago and I decided I wanted it just for the fact it was old and reminded me of when I was a small child.

My parents bought it right after they were married. They listened to it during the WWII war years before I was born.

After the war and through the early 50's this was what my family had for entertainment. It wasn't like we were deprived. It was pretty much the only means of in home electronic entertainment at the time.

When I was five or six I used to get up early on saturday morning to listen to BIG JON AND SPARKIE on the radio...kids show. At night the family listened to Amos and Andy, Jack Benny and the Shaddow.

This is a Zenith Model 7S633. It also has short wave bands as well as the AM band. I plugged it in to see what it would do today. It still plays and even the dial face lights up. I dusted it off and brought it in out of the garage and put it in a closet to keep the dust and humidity from working on it.
Attachments
working.jpg
dial.jpg
back.jpg
front.jpg
Last edited by Niner on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grubber
Regular visitor

Post by Grubber » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:39 am

Nice Niner

A cool part of family history

Thanks for sharing it

GG
Just keep shooting we'll worry about it when the smoke clears.

BOLOMK1
Sustaining Member

Post by BOLOMK1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:00 pm

Nice!

I've got a Philco with SW,"Broadcast" and PB.The Shortwave works well as does the AM.It has a pushbutton marked Telivision that I don't get any response from.Not sure if the PB stands for old Police Band frequencies or not.

Also picked up a working RCA victor of 'bout the same vintage.

Keep 'em handy in case the electromagnetic pulse takes out the other stuff!................. ;)

John
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Think the radio I have has a notation for television also on the back of it as "equiped for television". Think it was a holdover from a day when they didn't have a clue what television was....although there were a few television broadcasts around in the bigger cities back in the mid to late 40's. I think many thought that the sound from "television" would be broadcast on radio and the picture sent by the mysterious tv broadcast on a whole other "band".

I remember another time when I was a kid and tv was already a going thing in my home town and then "stereo" came along. There was a tv broadcast and a radio broadcast at the same time. You tuned both in and they showed you the stereo affect by broadcasting on both. The usual wonder of wonder things....train seeming to travel through the room. That sort of thing. But the pitch wasn't for stereo tv because that was way off in the future....just a stereo record player that you could buy from the local merchant or merchants.
BOLOMK1
Sustaining Member

Post by BOLOMK1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:36 pm

I'm not real sure either.

I know TV audio is broadcast way down low on the FM band.There are still some stations that can be picked up if your tuner creeps down low enuff.At least around here there is one in Pierre I can get when travelling.

S'pose that will end when digital takes over?

John
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:56 am

These old radios, like the one I'm showing didn't have any FM stations, even though they had the short wave bands in addition to the AM.

I did notice on mine the other day when I was playing with it that on the AM band if you turn it to the right to where you see the "160" I could pick up the weather report that I normally hear on the side band I take in the boat.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:17 pm

You're making me feel young. I grew up with television. We probably had only the radio in my early years but I was too young to remember it.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Post by blackisler » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:44 pm

I also have one of these old time radios it is a Marconie circa early 1950s it has long wave ,medium wave and fm , it is still in good working condition

Rob :SCO:
live life for today as tomorrow may never come