Another kind of Underwood

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Another kind of Underwood

Post by Niner » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 am

We know about those M1 carbines made during WWII. But there is another kind of Underwood that has gone the way of the horse and buggy and the eight track tape.

I got an old Underwood Five in my garage. Heavy as a sack of bricks and its utility surpassed by the computer age. But if the power ever goes out or my printer doesn't work and I have the urge to type a letter....well...I'm prepared.

This is what I found about the Underwood company.
The original Underwood typewriter was invented by German-American Franz X. Wagner, who showed it to entrepreneur John T. Underwood. Underwood supported Wagner and bought the company, recognising the importance of the machine. Underwood No. 1 and No. 2s, made between 1896 and 1900, had "Wagner Typewriter Co." printed on the back.[citation needed]

Underwood started adding addition and subtraction devices to their typewriters in about 1910.

During World War II Underwood produced M1 carbines for the war effort.
Attachments
underwood5.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:13 pm

They also make good anchors for aircraft carriers :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:14 pm

I used to have an old Uderwood 'Noisless', as a kid, Lord knows where it came from, not so much a typewriter as a hernia waiting to happen :) .

I wish I still had it .

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))