Pocket Knives

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Pocket Knives

Post by Niner » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:38 am

Anybody collect knives?

I've carried a knife in my pocket every day for years. Always have a need for one some time during the day, most days. I got to collecting a few. But...more often than not I carry a flea market knife that has a razor blade and teak handles that cost me all of about $5. Just the right pocket size and keeps a sharp edge, besides being totally expendable if I should lose it.

Lots of exotic material out there. Abalone shell for instance. Some great blades are custom made with Damascus steel and in numbered editions.

Most knives now days come from China and even Pakistan...although China has gotten to where they make some pretty good product...good enough to where the old time knife makers have gone Chinese...both US and European old time name brands.

There are still some domestic brands. Bear , for instance, is just up the road from me in Jackson Alabama. They make a good product including some limited editions like the yellow handle damascus in the attachment.
Attachments
440.jpg
141.jpg
Damascus.jpg
abalone.jpg
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:45 am

Niner,

Am I right in thinking that the knife in fig. 440 is the flea market item?

What size is it?

How far does the'razor' blade open?

Does it swing past the 180 degree point, to allow the blade to be used as a proper razor?

Just an idle thought.

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
Niner
Site Admin

That's the flea market special

Post by Niner » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:43 am

I've had it probably half dozen years now.

It is about 3 and a quarter inches long closed. The razor shape blade opens out fully.
Attachments
3andquarter.jpg
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:27 pm

Carrying that here would get you arrested, and a criminal conviction to boot, here in ye olde f*****d up Nanny State of England. :roll:

Joe
Niner
Site Admin

What?

Post by Niner » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:57 pm

So are pocket knives outlawed in Britian? Or maybe you are just not allowed to put them in your pocket? :oops:
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:27 pm

That knife in your picture would get you into serious trouble with the police if you were found to have it in your pocket in the UK.

You could even find yourself in court.

Yes thats how f-----g stupid this country is.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:57 pm

Oh.....sorry that it's like that.

Is it the knife itself or the shape of the blade?
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:19 pm

There has been a recent spate of kids stabbing each other of late , heavily reported in the press, much political hang wringing and knee-jerking with all manner of suggestions as to how it could be dealt with, including the suggestion from the leader of the opposition that carrying a knife should carry an automatic prison sentence (no mention of 'good cause, for carrying a knife).

I can't help wondering how the politicos would have dealt with me, in my youth - As a re-enactor, I would travel to local shows in kit with a musket on my shoulder, a bayonet on my hip, a bill hook in my belt and an axe across my back (I was a pioneer), or would travel to ECW group social meetings (on public transport) with a rapier on my hip and a 14" 'main-gauche' dagger at the rear.

At the time, I never had any trouble (even when I walked in the local nick to ask directions).
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
Leading Member

Post by 24626151 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:11 am

There is the defense of reasonable use, as a stalker and woodland warden I use one daily but if I have one on my belt I take it out and put it in the glove box or door pocket when I get in the truck, its not worth the grief forgetting about the knife and being arrested. No one yet has asked me about the empty pouch so perhaps I look trusworthy or the way I dress says it all.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com