How about a stadium seat?

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

How about a stadium seat?

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:41 pm

New York is replacing some aging baseball parks. You could own your own Yankee stadium or Mets seats for life to watch ball games from....provided you watch them on tv.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1218227 ... lenews_wsj

This is not something new. Other stadiums over the years have sold seats. Some even went to other lesser ball parks. When the Houston Astrodome had some seats to sell back in the first part of the 90's some ended up at Stanky Field at the University of South Alabama. The red ones in the photo. No telling where they are now as there is an entirely new stadium at South Alabama and the stadium as it exists in the picture is no longer although the new one is built on the same site..
Attachments
seats.jpg
Dalkowski110
Contributing Member

Post by Dalkowski110 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:42 am

My Dad said that the guys who demolished the Polo Grounds (New York Giants 1909-1957, New York Mets 1962-1963) gave most of the seats away to their friends and families. Then, when they said "okay, come and get 'em," the people who wanted a seat found a lot fewer than they expected and they went much faster than Dad (who was thinking of getting around to getting one) thought they would. Whilst I'd like a seat from Shea, I realize it's not fiscally possible, either. Oh yes, and I'm STILL scanning pictures of cards and autographs to post here!
-J.W.

By the way, interested in fine C&R Sporting Arms and C&R American factory sporting rifles? Go here...

http://www.milsurpshooter.net/forums/131

...new members are always welcome!
Niner
Site Admin

today

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Watched an interview with Chipper Jones of Atanta after the Braves played their last game at the old Shea stadium today on TV. He mentioned he bought a couple of the orange lower level seats. Said he wanted to put a couple seats that had held Met's fans asses that had booed him over the years into his basement.

Actually he said good things about the Mets and Shea stadium. He had hit his first home run there and had 18 more homers there over the years as well as a respectable .313 average over his total visits.
Last edited by Niner on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalkowski110
Contributing Member

Post by Dalkowski110 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:38 pm

To say nothing of naming his son "Shea" because he hit so well at the park. I never minded Chipper Jones. He "got" the whole Mets/Braves rivalry, understood and even enjoyed the booing, and while your average Mets fan wants the guy to fail miserably, they do respect him because they know that he gets it. He's also said he respects the Mets fans because of their loyalty to their team. Quite a far cry from Jimmy Rollins of the Philadelphia Phillies...
-J.W.

By the way, interested in fine C&R Sporting Arms and C&R American factory sporting rifles? Go here...

http://www.milsurpshooter.net/forums/131

...new members are always welcome!
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:25 pm

He also said something about seeing a fan with a getup with half a Mets hat and half a Yankees hat. He said , I guess they can go cheer for the Yankee if the Mets don't get to the end of the post season and into the series. He felt that was just wrong for a real fan not to support the team.

I didn't know he named his son Shea.
Barry in IN

Re: How about a stadium seat?

Post by Barry in IN » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:53 pm

I've been a Colts fan since they were in Baltimore (I was a Bert Jones fan). I've had season tickets for most of the time they have been in Indianapolis even though I didn't live here the entire time.
So when they built the new stadium, I couldn't wait for them to put the seats up for sale. What could be better for a fan than owning the seat you sat in for years?
Then the prices were announced.
Holy cow.
They came in pairs, and a set was $400, plus you had to pay $200 for crating and shipping. They wouldn't let you pick them up. As much as I wanted mine, I was not willing to pay $600.
I never did hear how many they actually sold, but I know from asking around my section that nobody there bought theirs.