Living people and museums

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Living people and museums

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:48 pm

Bob Feller is one of the greatest pitchers of all time. He's still alive... I think...at 90 or 91. During WWII he enlisted in the Navy and served as a Chief on a 40mm battery. He is remembered for his time of service at the USS Alabama on display at Mobile Alabama.
Attachments
feller.jpg
feller2.jpg
feller1.jpg
Dalkowski110
Contributing Member

Feller Alive and Well...

Post by Dalkowski110 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:53 pm

Sorry I've not really been on here very much, but I've been writing my book on Steve Dalkowski (and meeting the most interesting former ballplayers on the way...among the people whom I have on my "to-call" list is Brooks Robinson...yes, THAT Brooks Robinson). I'm still alive and will post more autographs.

As for Bob Feller, send him $10 and a baseball and he'll sign it for you. He usually throws in a letter if you're especially nice with your own letter or ask him questions. I know a few people that have asked him about his WWII service and he will take questions about that.
-J.W.

By the way, interested in fine C&R Sporting Arms and C&R American factory sporting rifles? Go here...

http://www.milsurpshooter.net/forums/131

...new members are always welcome!
Niner
Site Admin

That's pretty cheap

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:21 pm

$10 is a deal.

Feller was at the WWII museum in New Orleans last year for an event honoring professional baseball players that served in WWII. There is a book, When Baseball Went to War, complete with a short audio CD. Bob Feller has a short chapter in the book and is on the CD.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

I have to ask

Post by Woftam » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:51 pm

The wife bought a Wii for Christmas with a baseball game on it. Good fun although it's not really my game.

One question on the rules. When I have a good day (rare) and score over about 6 or 7 runs in the first innings I get subjected to the 'Mercy Rule'. Also been subjected to it when the opposition has a good day.

What exactly is the Mercy Rule, why is it there and do they use it in professional games ?
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Niner
Site Admin

No mercy rule in the majors

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:55 pm

There is a 10 run mercy rule after 7 innings in college baseball. I think it's that way in little league and probably high school too. The idea is that the spread is too far to catch up...kind of a sportsmanship thing.
Dalkowski110
Contributing Member

Mercy Rule...

Post by Dalkowski110 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:55 am

"What exactly is the Mercy Rule, why is it there and do they use it in professional games ? "

It's not used in any professional baseball games in any country I know of. However, it is used in international competition (the Olympics, World Baseball Classic, and Baseball World Cup). I'm not sure why you scored 6 or 7 runs and then your game gave you a mercy rule. IIRC, the IBAF (the entity that runs Olympic baseball, the World Baseball Classic, and Baseball World Cup) has an 11-run mercy rule. For an extremely realistic (although pricey) PC game, I'd go with MVP Baseball 2005 or High Heat Baseball 2001 (lousy graphics, but incredibly realistic gameplay).
-J.W.

By the way, interested in fine C&R Sporting Arms and C&R American factory sporting rifles? Go here...

http://www.milsurpshooter.net/forums/131

...new members are always welcome!
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks for the info. I think it's 6-7 runs because the game itself is only 3 innings. I imagine much else about the game is abbreviated as well but don't know enough about the rules to judge.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.