OLD TOOLS...........

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

OLD TOOLS...........

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:39 pm

..........I am sure most of us own old tools of some sort and if my shed is anything to go by there is a collection there waiting to be discovered one day.

We were at lunch with some friends of ours last week and for some reason this was discussed. I said I would try and find out more about it but have hit a stone wall on the net. I THINK it is an Ironmongers Rule or Iron Gauge but that's as far as I go. Thought you might like to see it and also wondered what might surface from you guys?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... 13-web.jpg[/pic]
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:42 am

I used to work in a laboratory and that resembles the type of folding rule that most of the older^H^H^H^H more senior members of the workshop staff used to carry in their top pockets (same type of gadgets but different markings/calibrations IIRC).

Judging by the tables on your example, I'd guess that you are correct in thinking it some form of metal merchant's rule, the tables giving approximate weights per unit length for given diameters.

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
Mosin Man

Post by Mosin Man » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 am

Very interesting ! reminds me of my old graduate school days using a slide rule. I'm curious to see what comes up. May be a tool used by a machinist.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Mosin Man wrote:Very interesting ! reminds me of my old graduate school days using a slide rule. I'm curious to see what comes up. May be a tool used by a machinist.
Looks more like it is a ready reckoner for a storeman or shopkeeper to me.

Then scales are:

Round Iron per Foot. e.g. 3½" dia is 32lb .07pts

Flat Iron per Foot by ¼" Thick. e.g. 4" is 3lb .33pts

Square Iron per Foot. e.g. 1" is 3lb .333pts

Copper Furnaces. Top, Sides, LtoB, Galls, Weight per 1½lbs gall

CWT (4 columns) DLSD

I did enquire of a company that sells old tools but they just offered to buy it for £25! I am sure our friends won't be selling it.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.