Some of my knives

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Aughnanure

Some of my knives

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Inspired by aprayinbear's recent post of his latest knife I dug out a few of my favourite knives.

Top is a former carving knife by 'Sabatier Trumpet..France..Fully Forged Stainless'. I got this from an Op-Shop for 50 cents as the tip was bent and chipped, I didn't care :) , blade is now 11 cms long and tapers from 5 mm evenly to the point.

Middle: My favourite 'Scian dubh' that I made about 1983 at Cocatoo Island Dockyard from a damaged gauge; the blade is marked 'L P & A' which stands for Low Pressure and Astern. It was for checking a destroyer turbine blade; top piece of steel :!:

Bottom: Another French knife, a folder by Opinel, this style is, I believe, a traditional design and has been around for about 150 years. I bought this new a few years ago and it's my every day 'user'. The blade locks positively in the open or closed positions by a rotating collar, a very safe knife, 10 cm blade.
Attachments
DSC01399.JPG
Last edited by Aughnanure on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Some of my knives

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Opinel still makes a knife like the last one. Not expensive either. My favorite knife I got from a flea market, although I have a modest collection of respectable knives as well.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:04 pm

You must have posted whilst I was putting in the text; I wasn't quite sure that the photo had loaded OK so posted it first.

Eoin.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:34 pm

I have a lot of work to do around the house but thankfully it's raining :D , so here's a couple more, along with my hunting bag that I made out of the leg of a pair of overalls.
The bag
The bag
The patch knife in the shoulder strap
The patch knife in the shoulder strap
The patch knife, made from a light weight carver by 'GH' of Canada, another Op-shop bargain. Plastic 'deer horn' handle.
The patch knife, made from a light weight carver by 'GH' of Canada, another Op-shop bargain. Plastic 'deer horn' handle.
This is a 'Carbon 5' that I bought over 15 years ago and it's never been sharpened although it has seen a lot of use in that time, won't shave the hairs off the arm anymore but still sharp enough for general use.  Cost me $150 and it was money well spent.
This is a 'Carbon 5' that I bought over 15 years ago and it's never been sharpened although it has seen a lot of use in that time, won't shave the hairs off the arm anymore but still sharp enough for general use. Cost me $150 and it was money well spent.
24cms blade.
24cms blade.
Nice and heavy
Nice and heavy

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:05 pm

The possibles bag is petty classic. I made a lead ball pouch and cap holder out of some scrap leather once. They are attached to an irrigular loop of leather that I can loop around my neck and under one arm. The ball pouch works real good. Leather strip acts to close it and the pouch leather is thick enough it forms itself into a regular round opening to dispense the lead ball ammo.

Just thinking, It might go good with my Demascus bowie.
Attachments
Damascus.jpg
IMGP3962.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:51 am

Opinel.

http://www.opinels.co.uk/

I have 3 Opinel :FRA: knives; No:3 stainless and 2 No:9's, one stainless which I keep in the car for various little jobs. As I do not hunt I have no need for anything bigger. I also have a stainless steel clasp knife that I have had since 1977 when I crewed a yacht in the Solent. Just one blade and a marlin spike but very handy.
Pretty well everyone here has a knife in a pouch on their belt which they use for anything from cutting bread to taking a slice of cured ham to anything else that is edible! I keep meaning to buy one but never get around to it :(
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
aprayinbear
Regular visitor

Post by aprayinbear » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:14 am

Great Post and great stuff!

I've got to make a shooting bag one of these days! It's amazing what can be made from "throw-a-way" scraps.

Here is another of my knives, a nordic style knife and sheathe. I didn't forge the blade on this one (those laminated blades are great) , but I made everything else.

Sounds like you guys are like me..... I've just got to be putterin' with something!

All The Best!