Flea Market stuff

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Flea Market stuff

Post by Niner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm going to the local Flea Market in a little while. I haven't been there in months and since my wife is having a bunch of women over to the house I need some place to escape to for a while and the Flea Market is as good a place as any.

Here is one of the things I've come back with over the years. I think I might have mentioned it before, but can't find it, so I'm posting it again.

The local paper changed from block set type to the modern offset printing method some years ago. Their stock of old fashion metal engraved set type went to the flea market. Here are a few photos of a block of set type that was used to print a map of downtown Mobile Alabama from mid 20th century. Notice the thick oak backing to the metal type and the marks on the end of the wood that show it has been used.

I used to use it as a paper weight on my desk ....back when I was younger and worked for a living.
Attachments
end.jpg
photo.jpg
mobile.jpg
Aughnanure

Re: Flea Market stuff

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Interesting little piece, I thought that I could tell from it just what some things were in reverse so I went to Map Quest and had a look. Got the wharves right and some of the railway. Bay Bridge Rd was pretty easy to pick to show that I was on the right track.

What the heck, it's Sunday morning here and as I've just seen the wife off to work, I have some spare time.

Thanks for that, never been to Mobile before, might go Google Earth (the cheapest way to travel :lol: ) later.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:44 pm

That map was probably up to date in about 1950 or 1960.

Here is a Google Earth map that is captured and a GPS reading recorded over it. My brother sent me the jpg. It shows our fishing trip a couple of weeks ago. If you go to Google Earth you should be able to spot this location in Mobile Bay. Hint...top is Dog River.
Attachments
fishing.jpg
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:57 am

Good thing that I didn't look here before I went looking for The Puzzle; I'd been south from Mobile and was working my way North along the western shore and had been to
before I found the solution.

Eoin.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:33 am

Then I went North by train:
and got as far as Craig Field, in Selma, Alabama.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:32 pm

I was on that river last week. Only about 20 miles north of Mobile.