A cornet I can't figure out

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: A cornet I can't figure out

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:33 am

Good job you don't collect pipe organs :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:49 pm

I just thought of a comment on 'Organs' and 'Horns' but on second thoughts I decided not to make it.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Collecting old trumpets is a lot like collecting old guns. People pay a premium for some brands and models over others. And there are various "serious collector" assumptions about what is ok to do to refurbish a horn and what isn't, just like with milsurps. Some refinishing would reduce value considerably in a serious horn and is totally frowned upon.....unless done by a handful of master re-finishers...and in such a case it would be alright....more or less....according to the Internet cognoscenti. Old horns of modest value are alright to just remove the old tarnish and old varnish....but not re-plate or re-varnish without being an expert since it would diminish the sound qualities. It is ok to wax them to cut down on the need to re-polish though. It is also important to keep in mind that all horns with the same name plate and model are not equal either. It is all depending upon the year made and who owned the company at the time. And some old "student" horns were made as well, or better, than some "professional" horns....you just have to get in the know to get the low down all the ins and outs of it.

And....there are a lot of brands and models that were made over a relatively long time too. Not much chance of running out of new possible additions to any collection. Check out this site.

http://horn-u-copia.net/

And Duncan, I don't know how to play a pipe organ........and I can't afford any.....and I don't have any place to put any either....at least in the house.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 pm

The collection continues to grow. I was about to buy another bookcase to put them in but thought better of it and redesigned how I had the horns stored and displayed.

The last horn I picked up was made by Besson in England back about 1957. It looked pretty rough but cleaned up. I have a grand total of $39 in it including the $15 shipping. It plays pretty well too. I've got a flugelhorn on the way. Never played one of them before. It's new...although a pig in a poke Chinese model and it costs as much as six or eight of the collectible trumpets cost altogether.
Attachments
Original display of early collection
Original display of early collection
New and improved display space
New and improved display space
Besson cornet after a bit of cleaning
Besson cornet after a bit of cleaning
As bought Besson Cornet
As bought Besson Cornet
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:59 pm

I do believe you suffer from the Gillespie-Armstrong syndrome. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:35 pm

I saw a trumpet with the bell bent up Dizzy Gillespie style not long ago.... I had to keep a tight hold on my billfold because I was getting the urge to buy it just to hear how it sounded. But....I resisted tempation...just by the hardest effort. :loco:
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:24 pm

Niner wrote:I saw a trumpet with the bell bent up Dizzy Gillespie style not long ago.... I had to keep a tight hold on my billfold because I was getting the urge to buy it just to hear how it sounded. But....I resisted tempation...just by the hardest effort. :loco:
...and threat of having the water cut off?
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun May 27, 2012 10:33 am

The collection continues to grow. Total expense is still pretty reasonable with an average cost of around $60 each, not counting the Flugalhorn in with the rest. And one of the two most valuable I have had for over fifty years and my parents paid for it a long time ago.
Attachments
DSC01653.jpg
DSC01652.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 pm

It's grown a little more. Got two on the way as well at the moment. But..... I'm seriously done for a few months at least. Well... I haven't bought any more guns since I got on this kick, so there is some redemption I guess.
Attachments
DSC02298.jpg
DSC02299.jpg
DSC02297.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:34 am

Turning into a good collection Robert. Bet they take more cleaning than guns though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.