My other hobby

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

My other hobby

Post by Niner » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:49 pm

I like to go fishing. Today was one of the better trips. Almost got the gulf coastal inshore grand slam. Caught a lot of Speckle Trout, some white trout, and a couple of flounder. Only thing I missed was a redfish.
Attachments
Speckle trout.. one of the smaller ones
Speckle trout.. one of the smaller ones
White Trout
White Trout
Flounder
Flounder
Aughnanure

Re: My other hobby

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:47 am

Great way to spend some time and I do a bit when I get the chance.

Most successful fishing I ever did (apart from when I was a deck hand on a fishing boat) was from a high bluff over the Turon River (NSW) using military .30/06 from an M17.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Aughnanure wrote:Great way to spend some time and I do a bit when I get the chance.

Most successful fishing I ever did (apart from when I was a deck hand on a fishing boat) was from a high bluff over the Turon River (NSW) using military .30/06 from an M17.
Now why doesn't that surprise me :roll: :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:21 pm

My old man used to tell stories of fishing for mullet with bread and a .22 as a kid.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:28 pm

On the Alabama coast cast nets or gill nets are the way to catch mullet. However, when I was a teenager my father got this idea from some acquaintence of his. I had a 12 foot skiff with about a 20 horse outboard moter on it that I bought with money saved up working part time in a grocery store....Johnson moter as a matter of fact. The idea was, at night, to take a seine net and hold it up fore and aft in the boat and take a white gas flounder light at each end and get in and run the boat through schools of bay mullet. The theory was that the mullet would jump and either blinded by the light, or attracted to the light, jump into the boat. The net was to keep them from jumping over the boat.

Well one summer fifty odd years ago I tried it out. And....... the fish jumped just fine. They were smart enough not to jump into the boat though. Even to this day I wonder if maybe I was doing something wrong. Maybe not aiming the lights right. Or turning too fast. Or going too fast. Or....whatever. :|