Beamish Museum

Anything else you collect that doesn't have a forum.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Beamish Museum

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 am

Is that a secret Masonic greeting Eoin :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue May 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Not having had my knuckles formally crushed I wouldn't know :)

Top Post on the Museum in General
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed May 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Upon second thought, those double decker vehicles aren't really buses. I guess the proper name would be Tram or Trolley. They operate by electricity and use the cables above the road to connect to the electricity. Not may of those kind of cars in the US now days. New Orleans is the only place that comes to mind within a thousand miles of me that has any now days....and not double decker.

When I was a child there were buses of a more or less conventional kind that operated by electricity. Maybe times will revert one day when the oil prices get higher.

The double decker fuel powered bus is evident in the US in small numbers as used for novelty purposes. There is one I've seen around that is used by real estate people to take agents around to show new listings to their agents. The one I saw last week out in the country in somebodies yard must have been used for something like that at one time.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:05 pm

As I recall, they have at least two buses on site, one an original pre Great War model (I can't remember its designation) and a replica "B" Type (the bus that went to war with the British Army in the Great War*)

When I was there (several years ago) the trams weren't running for some reason.

Tom

* Mostly Commandeered/Hired/Otherwise Acquired from the London General Omnibus Company
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))