Siamese Mauser

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

PeterN2

Siamese Mauser

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 pm

I bought this rifle a couple of weeks ago. It is a Model 1903 Siamese Mauser made in Japan at the Tokyo arsenal. These rifles were made between 1903 and 1908. They were the Type 45 in Siamese nomenclature and were originally made in 8x50R Siamese. Around 1923 they were modified to the new 8x52R cartridge. This rifle is one of the modified ones in 8x52R and called the Type 66. The rear sight ramp was modified to match the ballistics of the new round. The modification cut into the numbers that were originally stamped on the side for the 8x50R cartridge. The rifle has a sloping magazine to accommodate the rimmed round. The rifle has a manually operated sliding dust cover. For a rifle over 100 years old, it is quite good condition. The bore has cleaned up to a nice shine. There now remains the problem of getting reloading dies and modifying some 8x56R Mannlicher cases to get the rifle to the range.
A few pictures.
Regards
Peter.
Attachments
Siamese Mauser Charka.jpg
Siamese Mauser right full.jpg
Siamese Mauser left full.jpg
Siamese Mauser action right closed.jpg
Siamese Mauser action right open.jpg
Siamese Mauser action top closed.jpg
Siamese Mauser action top open.jpg
Siamese Mauser serial number.jpg
Siamese Mauser makers mark.jpg
Siamese Mauser rear sight.jpg
Siamese Mauser rear sight ramp.jpg
Siamese Mauser magazine well.jpg
PeterN2

Re: Siamese Mauser

Post by PeterN2 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:03 pm

A few more pics of the markings. The butt trap was to hold a muzzle cover, hence the shape I presume. It is empty.

Regards
Peter.
Attachments
Siamese Mauser stock stamp.jpg
Siamese Mauser stock number.jpg
Siamese Mauser rear top tang.jpg
Siamese Mauser rear bottom tang.jpg
Siamese Mauser front sight marks.jpg
Siamese Mauser butt trap.jpg
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:35 pm

Nice
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Nice rifle, wish I had any kind of Mauser......... :cool:

But when you buy a Siamese Mauser, shouldn't you receive 2 that are just alike................ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Nice looking Mauser you got there Peter....... :cool:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:33 am

Aye, Peter can always find the nice unusual stuff. Now the challenge of getting it shooting sweet. :D

Joe
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:14 pm

But when you buy a Siamese Mauser, shouldn't you receive 2 that are just alike................

Yes, it would be nice to find another like this but in the original 8x50R calibre. I don't think that is likely to happen though. I have just had a reply from CH4D that they have the dies in stock. An order will go in the morning. I already have 50 Prvi 8x56R Mannlicher cases so looking good to get this rifle to the range in the not too distant future.

Regards
Peter.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:55 pm

Well, I phoned CH4D and spoke to a deep voiced slow talking gentleman who seemed to have trouble understanding my accent. He got that I was after 8x52 and checked his stock list and said they were out of stock even though I had an email the week before saying they had stock. He said they were scheduled to be made but it would be six months before they had any. I said I would leave it and took option two, which was to order an RCBS set from Buffalo Arms, but at a higher price. I ordered online on the 2nd May, they shipped on 10th May and they arrived by Fedex on 14th May. I had fifteen 8x56R cases converted that evening, loaded on Friday and shot them today. They shot very well. I was at 200 yards and the rifle shot to the sight setting. I had loaded five each of 38 grains, 38.5 grains and 39 grains of H4895 with a 198 grain bullet. These were quite mild and pleasant to shoot. I will load the next batch with just the 38 grain charge and see how we go.
Regards
Peter.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Thu May 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Well done. Keep us posted
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Fri May 24, 2013 5:39 am

Got any foties of the loaded rounds Peter?

Joe