Century Arms

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

HK_USP_45

Century Arms

Post by HK_USP_45 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 am

Hi,

I'm pretty up-to-speed on most guns, but am a little lacking on Mausers. I have knowledge about the gun itself, but not as knowledgeable on what has happened to guns since the war -- specifically dealing with import into our country, and the history of Russian Capture.

With that said, I would like to add a Mauser into my collection, but need some info. I'm not looking for something that's perfect, I just want it to be "untampered" with by unscrupulous importers. I'm looking at some that are advertised with Century Arms (despite what some people say, I've had nothing but good luck with everything I've bought from them, other than their import marks being a little large).

The ones I'm looking at is a JP Saur & Sohn (CE manufacture) in good condition for $700. A Mauser Werke (BYF mfg) in good condition for $600, and a Gustloff Werke (BCD mfg) for $700.

I talked to their marketing person (I'm a writer and youtube reviewer and I've worked with them in the past), and she said their armory told her that a few of them even have Nazi proofs still on them.

A couple of questions:

- Is the price in line with what I should pay?
- Is there anything I should be leery about (things that aren't consistent with your knowledge of these rifles)?

Are these RC? I'm assuming they are.

Thanks for any input.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Century Arms

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm no expert on the question of which of the selection you mention would be the best buy...all things being equal otherwise. But a few thoughts come to mind for my two cents worth.

Once upon a time Century was the really big source for the C&R craze. They were bringing in guns at scrap metal prices and selling them for rock bottom cheap prices..and taking them back if you weren't satisfied. And.. that probably burned them. Guys would buy a half dozen Turk Mausers or Mosin Nagants for a dirt cheap actual wholesale price... shipped free...and then send back all but one that they thought the best and have Century eat the cost of the total original shipment expense. Century got wise eventually. Now days they are as full retail as anybody else to the individual C&R license holder. But they haven't become one of those professional hand picked retailer specialty places either. You still buy a pig in a poke.

As to Mauser by way of Russian... after the war the spoils were divided up and the Commies were the ones that wanted the rifles. The rest of the allies had no particular desire to own used Mausers. The Iron Curtain countries did. They reconditioned their lot and most of the time removed as many of the Nazi codes and gun marks as they could find. And the Ruskies, the controlling power, always liked to take guns apart and then put them back together again with no regard to serial numbers.

The above being said, some rifles were not messed with. Perhaps they became unfashionable after the AK came on the scene and the wheels of destruction and rebuild came to a halt. It seems there was a batch from Russia with the gun marks still intact in recent years. Nothing to look down on but to be desired...in my opinion.

All of the guns you mention, in my opinion, based on present day asking prices, that are complete and in decent looking condition, and that have actual original matching numbers, and that have original factory and Nazi marks still in place, and that are fully functional, and that headspace to field specs, then the prices are not out of line. If not all these things, then about half the asking prices on average.