Chilean Mauser

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

PeterN2

Chilean Mauser

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:04 pm

When I was at Bisley in October for the Trafalgar Meeting, I saw this Mauser laying on a table among various other rifles. I have been looking for a South American Mauser and thought that this was unusual in the UK as I had never seen one. The price was reasonable, less than some people were asking for Lee Enfields, so I bought it. It has been carried alot but the bore is bright and the bolt face is almost unmarked so It has not been shot much. It is one of about 10,000 Mausers made in 1935 for the Carabineros, a Chilean Police Force that was somewhere between the civil police and military. It has a lot of wear on the barrel and barrel band behind the front sight. This is right where your hand rests when stood at ease with the butt on the ground. Sweaty hands have worn the blue off this area. It has had an extra sling loop fitted that I understand was so the rifle could be fastened to a saddle when on mounted patrol. It is 7mmx57 Mauser calibre. A few pics that could be better, but it was going dark when I took them.
Chilean Mauser Full right.jpg
Chilean Mauser Full left.jpg
Chilean Mauser Action left.jpg
Chilean Mauser Action right.jpg
Chilean Mauser Rear sight.jpg
Chilean Mauser Action top.jpg
Chilean Mauser Action crest.jpg
Chilean Mauser Barrell.jpg
Chilean Mauser Stock crest 2.jpg
Chilean Mauser Sling ring.jpg
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Chilean Mauser

Post by Niner » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:50 pm

According to an old edition of Walter's Rifles of the World the number made is guessed at 5000. Whatever the number, there can't be many in collectors hands. Nice looking rifle with some history to it. Have you shot it?

Check this out as something you might want with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Chile-Carab ... SwNSxVLcB9
PeterN2

Re: Chilean Mauser

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:44 pm

I have put 20 rounds of Prvi ammo through it to test it. It shot OK but I need to give it a proper trial when the weather improves. The badge would be nice, but the seller does not ship out of the US.
Regards
Peter.