Found K98, should I buy?

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

HK_USP_45

Re: Found K98, should I buy?

Post by HK_USP_45 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Niner wrote:I don't know that the multitude of negative comments don't have some basis in truth. But..... if I were interested in the rifle I'd look it over carefully and make up my own mind as to if the serial numbers look legit or not to me. The minor factory stamps would be of lesser concern as they could be more easily faked and the proof of the matter would hinge on the receiver and bolt serial numbers matching. If I suspected one or the other of them weren't original I wouldn't pay anything close to what Cabelas is asking. Whatever you do just be satisfied in your own mind before you do it. My opinion is just that, an opinion, and I have only small time collector status and am certainly no expert on this question at all.

Maybe you could get an agreement from Cabela's that you could return it if you found a gunsmith that could tell if any of the serial numbers had been altered in any way. I would suspect Cabela's wouldn't want to sell a firearm with a questionable serial number in a "matching" serial number surplus rifle and would gladly return your money.

Let us know what you end up doing.

You could also make a run of the Pawn shops. Must be a few Mausers out there in your local area.
You're right. I'll do what I think feels right. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of pawn shops around here, and those we do have, don't sell guns. I know that sounds weird, since you're from the south.lol
Sarge
Regular visitor

Post by Sarge » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:59 am

Since you don't show the bolt I can't tell if it is a renumber, BUT being a mm rifle I'll bet it is! The stock nr is wrong for an original German rifle. NOT the right place. Also can't tell from your photos, but mitchels is good at putting new made stocks on their imports and then numbering the stock to the receiver so there are no German proofs on them.
mitchels advertises something like 7 or 9 matching numbers on their rifles - BFD!!! An original wartime German rifle would have up to 20+ matching numbered parts. mitchels removes and renumbers or just removes numbers.
It is perfectly legal to diddle with proof marks AND ser nrs on any part of the rifle EXCEPT the receiver.
For $500 you should be able to find an RC somewhere and have $100 - $150 left over.
I would suggest that you DO NOT buy that rifle unless you can get it for about $250-300 cause yes it is a German wartime rifle, BUT it is NOT as near original as an RC you can buy elsewhere for less $$$.
Sarge
:rebel:
Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
LIFEMEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF
HK_USP_45

Post by HK_USP_45 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 am

Sarge wrote:Since you don't show the bolt I can't tell if it is a renumber, BUT being a mm rifle I'll bet it is! The stock nr is wrong for an original German rifle. NOT the right place. Also can't tell from your photos, but mitchels is good at putting new made stocks on their imports and then numbering the stock to the receiver so there are no German proofs on them.
mitchels advertises something like 7 or 9 matching numbers on their rifles - BFD!!! An original wartime German rifle would have up to 20+ matching numbered parts. mitchels removes and renumbers or just removes numbers.
It is perfectly legal to diddle with proof marks AND ser nrs on any part of the rifle EXCEPT the receiver.
For $500 you should be able to find an RC somewhere and have $100 - $150 left over.
I would suggest that you DO NOT buy that rifle unless you can get it for about $250-300 cause yes it is a German wartime rifle, BUT it is NOT as near original as an RC you can buy elsewhere for less $$$.
Sarge
:rebel:
I could post pics of the bolt, but probably no need, I don't really think they're original. When I first looked at it, the first thing to pop in my head is that they're fake. To me it looks like a modern font. I'm not as familiar with Mausers, but I've seen enough Milsurp to make an educated guess. Actually, for S.A.G, I'm going to post the pic so everyone can tell me that I'm right or wrong -- I think it's fake.
Attachments
Mauser 4 res0001.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:08 am

I'd say that was intentional to "force match" for sure. I would imagine Mitchell's defense would be they bought them from some arms surplus agent and they didn't know. But......not something you would want to hear from a "relics" dealer who hides behind big dollar NRA and Guns and Ammo ads ......trusted publications, at least once upon a time trusted publications.
HK_USP_45

Post by HK_USP_45 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 am

Just an update -- I talked to the Gun library manager, and he told me that unfortunately they aren't able to lower prices on Mitchell's stuff. I'm thinking they probably payed too much. So I decided to pass on the rifle. Hope I can find something else before they become too hard to find.

Thanks for all your advice!
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Niner wrote: At least it looks right. I got a Yugo K98K that had the receiver ring completely scrubbed and a big Yugo stamp put in its place. It has a Preduzece stamp on the side opposite the serial number. However, they missed a few Nazi stamps and it is a genuine K98K.
Mine looks exactly like that, but is a VR69. It is an excellent shooter. Not knowing at the time (5 years ago) about these, I paid $400 for it. But, that's OK, i enjoy having it.
There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
Winston Churchill
Member: VFW, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, Society of the 5th Infantry Division