My BSA WOP Trainer

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:23 pm

Adam the back sight do they have a leaf spring or does the sight just lift up without any resistance.

Was this sight fitted to the early 22 martinis.

I have one of these sights I cant remember were it came from

I was thinking of fitting it to a early 22 martini but wasnt sure it would be original.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

WOP Trainer

Post by Woftam » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:56 am

I have had one of these for a year or so now. Not in as good condition as the two posted here but - the price was right. Yes, a free rifle, how can you refuse.

Looking at the other two here I note a couple of things that cause me to ask questions. If nobody minds that is ?

While mine has checkering at the wrist and forearm, the LSA has checkering at the wrist only (I think) and the BSA has no checkering at all.

So was the checkering an option ? aftermarket ?

The rear sight protectors on the LSA appear to be fitted facing the wrong way (as they are on mine) and on the BSA they appear correctly fitted.

A little bit of research indicates either is correct but does anyone know why some were fitted wrong way round ? Manufacturing error ? Apprentices ?
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

More photos

Post by Woftam » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:01 am

Just a few more photo's that wouldn't attach to the first post.
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:38 am

Hi Woftam,

welcome to these boards and thankyou for your post, its good to see another local. :D

The price was definitely right for that nice WOP.

Regarding the ears I have sen them on both ways however the period advertising and patent drawings show them as in yours and Joes rifles so it seems that they were reversed by design from the way they are on the SMLE.

The chequering was an after market finish on the BSAs at least it was part of the "Special Finish" package which featured "picked heart walnut stocks, nicely chequered" at 10/- extra.

How does it shoot?
ImageImage
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:05 pm

Hi woftam, welcome to the site. Nice rifle, and the "price" was definitely right :D

Joe
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

WOP Trainer

Post by Woftam » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:48 am

Thanks for the welcome.

I thought the 'reversed' ears was the original design specification but you would have to wonder why given the rifle was to emulate the SMLE.

The checkering on mine is definitely not 'nicely chequered' so I doubt mine is original.

By the way I am only a temporary local - back off to Australia in April '06. The reason I took so long getting back to this post was the recent 'civil unrest' here plays havoc with my access to computers through the local library.

Again thanks for the welcome.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:51 pm

I think "civil unrest" is a bit of an understatement woftam, take care over there.

The checkering on my LSA is nicely done but i still suspect it wasnt a factory job.

Joe
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Am I doing something wrong with the pictures ?

Post by Woftam » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:06 am

Have noticed if I just visit the site without logging in my pictures aren't showing but do show when I log in.

Also my pictures are surrounded by a frame but Dromia's pictures aren't.

Is this how it works or have I stuffed up ?

On the question of how my WOP Trainer shoots, well lets just say part of the reason it was so well priced is the bore condition - poor, very poor. Still for playing at 25 yards it's perfectly acceptable.
Attachments
Kilmainham.JPG
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:32 am

Hi Woftam,

don't know what is happening with you not seeing the pictures.

Regarding the frame and stuff thats what you get when you directly upload from your computer to the site.

Personally I don't like all that stuff around the pictures, its ugly and detracts.

So I use a pictiure hosting site, mines called photobucket, but there are many others, and then hot link to the host web site. It only takes a little longer to upload to the host site and then link than doing direct and you don't get all that clutter around your picture.

Tell us more about the "hidden" Enfields ;)
ImageImage