Need information on No8 sights.

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Need information on No8 sights.

Post by Woftam » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:36 am

Don't know if this is the right forum but it is as close a fit as I can get.

Looking at a 5 series PH sight for my No8. Now I believe the correct designation is PH5D as opposed to the PH5C for the No4. The major difference I believe was the PH5C is 1/2 minute adjustments and the PH5D is 1/4 adjustments.

The one I am looking at is marked PH5DC. Is that how they were marked ?

Also (from memory, as I don't have my references with me) a PH5D has a slightly different mounting system to the PH5C. I believe the forward mount is longer, located more centrally to the body of the sight and uses a purpose drilled mounting hole rather than the ejector screw hole that the Ph5C does. The one I am looking at uses the ejector screw hole.

So are there two versions of this sight ? A PH5DC with a PH5C mounting system + 1/4 minute adjustments and a PH5D with the alternative mounting system + 1/4 minute adjustment ? Or am I loooking at a fake ?

One last question, the scale plate for windage is missing (not sure on the terminology there) are they findable or rocking horse manure ?

Thanks in advance, any and all information gratefully recieved.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:04 pm

You might be better of putting this on the enfield forum Adam DROMIA could probably help or Joseyclosey.

Ill bring it to there attention next time I see them.

Or if the keeper of the Enfields is at our club shoot on Saturday Im sure he will be able to answer your question.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:16 am

hdtaxi,

thanks for the suggestion. I'll double it up on the enfield forum then.
Leading Member

Post by 24626151 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:17 pm

If youre no8 is a woolwich batch then it needs a 5C base for the 5D sight as they were drilled as per No4 recievers!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com
awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:04 am

There are two or three(maybe even four) variations of No8 receivers.

They can come based on No5 and No4 receivers and with and without the hole for the ejector screw drilled(have to finde a No5 without the screwhole yet).

I have a No4 based receiver without the ejector screw hole, so only the PH5D will fit.

The PH5DC will fit al No4 ond No5 receivers with the ejector screw hole, it hast less windage than a PH5C.

Got one on my No7Mk1.

All No8 with the ejector hole present, I have seen so far, do also have the hole needet for the PH5D.

Chris