How lucky can you get?

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

Candyman
Contributing Member

How lucky can you get?

Post by Candyman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:32 pm

People always ask me how do I find such great deals on guns. I just tell them that I am always on the hunt, and I'm lucky.

Back in May, on the way home from work, I stopped off at one of the local pawn shops just to look around. I stop by this pawn shop about 3 or 4 times a week but don't find too many deals, but you never know what you will find.

I was just shooting the bull when I noticed an old pump 22 sitting off to the side away from the other 22s. I asked to look at it. When the guy handed it to me he said that it was broken. When asked what was wrong with it other then the stocks, he said that it did not eject.
I then looked at the tag and I was shocked. :eek: It had $70 on it.
I asked the guy how much would he be willing to drop the price. He said he would have to get someone else to work on the price. The older guy behind the counter then came up and I said, "I'll give you $40 out the door. He countered with $45. I came back with $42.50. He called me a dirty name and laughed and told me I had a deal.
I then saw a Remington 514 sitting next to where the pump had been. I saked to look at it. It was priced at $30. Other then the barrel pointing up a little :roll: It looked to be in ok shape. I told the old guy that I would give him $60 for both and he called me another dirty name with a smile and said $65 out the door.
I paid for the two rifles and went home.
Here is the pump.
Savage Mod 29

I really hate wood putty.

Here is the Remington 514.

Yes the barrel is a little bent. :lol: But just the bolt sells for $65.

Life is good. :lol:

The pump ejects just fine, but does not feed very good. I was able to get it to feed a little better, but it needs a small bushing to fix it, which I am looking for. I will have to fix the stocks because, I have not been able to locate a different set in better shape.

The barrel on the Remington is bent, but I have lacated a used Remington barrel in good shape for $35.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: How lucky can you get?

Post by Niner » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Interesting finds and great negotiating. Wonder how the barrel got bent?
Candyman
Contributing Member

Re: How lucky can you get?

Post by Candyman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Have no clue on how the barrel got bent on the Remington. There are no marks on the barrel and no damage to the stock.