BSA Century

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

joseyclosey

BSA Century

Post by joseyclosey » Sat May 21, 2011 10:50 am

We travelled to Catterick today for a full bore shoot on the military range only to find "our" range in use by the army. :roll:

Not to be deterred we returned home and got out a couple of my .22s and went to the Barbican Armoury range for a wee shoot. We had the range to ourselves and had a nice relaxing couple of hours plinking.

I took my .22 BSA Century and the LSA .22 conversion for the Society of Miniture Rifle Clubs Martini.

The Century Target rifle was manufactured from 1955 until 1961, but being based on the BSA Supersport Five sporting rifle it was never really competitve enough when up against other target rifles of the time including BSA's own Martini actioned 12/15.

My first go to site when looking for any info on smallbore rifles is the excellent Historic Arms Resource Centre.
http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Century_target_Rifle.htm

Nevertheless i find this a really fun rifle to shoot and still capable of decent accuracy and i will be giving it a whirl in the coming winter HARC Postal comps.

Today i was using Remington Target .22 which was working fine in this rifle and my Martini.

Joe

The Parker Hale PH17 rear sight.

FS22 foresight.

BSA piled arms.

PeterN2

Re: BSA Century

Post by PeterN2 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:43 pm

One of our club members shoots a BSA Century rifle. He has had it for around five years and paid about £60 for it. It is a nice accurate little rifle.

Regards
Peter.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sat May 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Joe some of your guys joined us at Deer Park.
What a bummer driving all that way and being turned away not good.
We got Deer park after they changed the venue 5 times.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun May 22, 2011 3:50 am

Very nice piece Joe :razz:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Post by Dave 101 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:30 am

Hi Joe

That rifle of yours certainly shoots well , wish I could do mine the justice it deserves .

Dave

joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun May 22, 2011 1:40 pm

That looks nice Dave, i am thinking about taking the varnish off mine but can't make my mind up just yet.

Do you have the five round mag for yours?

Joe
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Post by Dave 101 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi Joe

I did have one but as I was only using the rifle for range work I sold it to a friend from work for £45.00 which I think was a fiver more than I paid for it , he was happy with the deal .
It was a shame BSA never developed a decent action for these rifles then they would have had a real contender to Anschutz at the time .
Doesnt look like theres much wrong with yours though . Sadly my eyes fail me with anything other than a scoped rifle so I have never had the best out of it .
I dont think the varnish looks good on rifles , for a gloss I use tru oil , with an American walnut stain . My two Vickers Martini action rifles I didnt stain as they have a good colour to them .

Dave