Built Up Ruger 10-22

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Built Up Ruger 10-22

Post by Karl/Pa. » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 am

Ruger 10-22 that I built up a couple of years ago. Only original part is the receiver. Gain-twist Green Mountain bull barrel, Boyd's/Volquartsen stock, all innards are Volquartsen. Finicky about ammo. It only digests Wolf Match well, rather, extremely well. With the 9-24 mildot BSA, it will one hole until the barrel gets really warm. Sadly, it will have to go when I finally get off my butt and start liquidating the collection. Shooting is pretty much a thing of the past now due to the black spot in my dominant (R) eye after cataract surgery.

Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
NuJudge
Contributing Member

I've had good luck with Wolf MT in rugers also

Post by NuJudge » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:55 pm

You have a beautiful rifle.

I have been shooting Wolf Match target in three Ruger 10/22s I set up for Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) .22 Sporter competition. I've shot three different lots, and all of them group exceedingly well. My 50 yard slow fire prone target at last year's National Matches was a 100-8X. This year's target was only a 100-7X. Interestingly, I have tried two lots of Wolf Match Extra, and neither shot as well at the Match Target. The Lapua/SK people at the National Matches were amused by this.

My rifles are also modified, but most everything is still there in modified form. I had the rear end of the barrels faced off .200", and something similar to a pistol match reamer used to rechamber. I had the bolt faced off to set the headspace a lot tighter. I had a through-pin installed just above the firing pin to prevent squirrelly ignition from the firing pin kicking up sometimes. I had a pillar put in the stock for bedding. Finally, I've always hated the bolt hold-open on the 10/22 bolt, so I installed a CST bolt stop, which holds the bolt open after the last shot.

I would NOT quit shooting because of trouble in your master eye. God gave you two of them for a reason. My daughter is cross-dominant, and usually shoots using her non-dominant eye because it feels more comfortable. She does fine. When my Dad was about 35 and I was about 4, he started telling me that old age was hell. Now he's 85 and I'm 54, and I begin to agree with him.