55 Polish M44

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

55 Polish M44

Post by Miller Tyme » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:55 pm

1st and last years of production of any rifle are desirable to many collectors, and Polish M44’s are no exception. The craftsmanship displayed by the folks at Radom is 2nd to none, and there bluing’s are sports rifle quality.
I have a 51, but have looked high and low for a nice 55 to go with it, well my search is over. I found this one on line with a low opening bid, and while not totally perfect it would be hard to upgrade on it. So I threw out a comfortable bid and was quite happy to see it hold up. It is all stamped matching and the bluing is beautiful. The only short comings I have found is the rifle was stored in a damp location and the butt plate got some rust on it (which the seller unfortunately cleaned off), and some small spots of rust on the sling slots. The stock is in great shape but is rather dark for being beach wood. The bore is bright with great rifling and the trigger pull is butter smooth.

“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Re: 55 Polish M44

Post by Niner » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:24 pm

You must have really some collection by now. That one is special for sure. The stock looks like it doesn't have the usual heavy varnish either. Do you think somebody refinished it? Or is that original?
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Re: 55 Polish M44

Post by Miller Tyme » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:39 pm

The stock finish is original Robert, Polish M44's never recieved the typical Russian style shellac treatment of some of there other Warsaw Pact compadres. :lol:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin