M/N target (peep) sights.............

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

M/N target (peep) sights.............

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:56 pm

A company here in WA has started selling target sights for most Nagant rifles on ebay.
They are 2 different styles and replace the rear sight. Think I will order one for my M38
and see if I can hit anything, since I can't using the factory sight, which became obvious
at the last shooting contest............ :mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mosin-nagant-cu ... 2623&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mosin-nagant-cu ... 19f6c29cb3
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: M/N target (peep) sights.............

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:13 am

Now that is interesting. If you buy one Vern, let us know how it works.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:30 pm

I bought one, installing is not a problem, being warm enough to go shooting is the problem.
It's already dipping down into the 20s at night.

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:31 pm

It came in the mail today and looks to be well made. Although it did seem odd to use
slotted head instead of allen head cap screws, so maybe I'll just replace them.
Since the screws are different size, maybe just one small screwdriver instead of needing
2 different allen keys, maybe....
The other thing is that the small eyepiece has the larger hole in it, and the large
one has the small hole. There may be a reason, but I don't know what it is....... :D
Will try to get it installed this week, but who knows when I can get to a range.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Put it on my M38 today, fit perfect and the leaf spring is left in so it can be flipped up like
the factory sight. Since it is made of aluminum, it is very light, that also means it is not as
rugged as the original steel sight. I will handle it the same as I would a scope and there won't
be any problems with it........hopefully.
Will print some of the targets we used in the last contest, when I used this same rifle with factory
sights, and next time with the target sights, should give a fair comparison of the 2 sights.
The problem now is to get out and shoot it, since this isn't shooting weather........... :(

Josh Smith

Post by Josh Smith » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:48 pm

I tried one as a compliment to what I do.

I just can't get used to peep sights that far forward. I mean, they're well made, but both the Mojo and this one have the same problem of being too far forward for my liking.

I've come to prefer the stock rear sight with the notch worked over with a 2mm diamond file.

On the other hand, I have had many customers tell me that this type peep sight (Mojo, Anapro) work exceptionally well with red fiber optic front sights. I am happy to recommend these rear sights on the basis that I get so many people writing me about this combo.

Josh
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Took it out to the range today, and learned several things............ :cool:
Didn't take long to get it lined up. Did quite well (for me) on a 12" target with a red center and
black background. But when shooting the targets from the summer contest, it all went to shit.
Tried both the small and big hole sights, seemed to do a little better with small hole. What did seem
to help was moving my cheek hold forward, even just a little helped me focus the top of the front
sight post. The real problem was I couldn't see the bulls eye of the smaller white targets, it all just
seemed to be one color.....white. On the same target board I had put the red and black target and
5 targets from the summer shoot, none of them were more than 10" from each other. The white
targets I was hitting all over the place, so I would take another shot at the red target and hit it
in the 6" ring of that one. So obviously I need a colored bulls eye on a dark background and need
to make the top of the sight post a bright color. Now I understand why the previous post says
many people do better with red fiber optic front post. Am going to look into that.
You can see the obvious difference between the colored and white targets, and those were the best
2 of the white targets.... :roll:
I think with the right targets and a colored front sight post, I could work my way up to being a
mediocre marksman............ :mrgreen:
Attachments
target1.jpg
target2.jpg
target3.jpg

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:17 pm

Looks like pretty good shooting to me . "The real problem was I couldn't see the bulls eye of the smaller white targets, it all just
seemed to be one color.....white." That's my problem all over. I think it has to do with being old and having relatively crappy worn out eye sight.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:07 pm

So on to plan B...........
A guy on ebay selling front sight posts milled down to any size between original 2mm dia. to a very
skinny 1mm. His sizes, I didn't actually measure anything.
Anyway, got one in the skinny 1mm hoping that may help, along with the peep sights. We'll see......
Will try to get to range on Monday with same targets.........sort of.
Also bought a front sight adjusting tool, works fine but first you have to break the sight loose with
a punch, at least mine did.
Attachments
sight1.jpg
sight2.jpg
sight3.jpg

NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Where did you get that sight adjustment tool Niner? I took my M44 to the range last week and kept driving my front sight with a hammer and punch. It just didnt feel right smacking my mosin with a hammer.

I took quite a few 'gentle' wacks before I got it to shoot straight! I went to a Winter Shoot about an hour from my house and we shot our sight in from 25yards. Heres how the 44 shoots now....see below. It shot as well at 50 and 75. After that it goes to hell. Have to work on that.

Someone there asked me how I got the rifle so accurate....I told him I just pull the trigger...the gun does the real work! ;)

....he wasn't a Mosin fan before...thinks he is now...
wintershoot.jpg
Looking for a 1960 T53. Always wanted a Mosin as old as I am.... :lol: