Marking question...

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Marking question...

Post by NLMosin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:18 pm

I've been trying to find info about the square stamped on the mosin on the right. Any help would be appreciated...
Attachments
"my three guns"
"my three guns"
Looking for a 1960 T53. Always wanted a Mosin as old as I am.... :lol:
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Marking question...

Post by Niner » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:10 pm

Squares are usually an arsenal refurbishment mark. One with a diagonal line is for stocks. One with a vertical line bisecting the square is a metal parts refurbishment. Not sure about a blank box. Miller Tyme will be along and he will know.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:33 am

Maybe it's for the whole weapon :cool: :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:27 am

The square is an arsenal refurb mark, I will try to post a list of them latter.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Here are some of the refurb marks and the arsenal that performed them.
Attachments
15067846282_c1e3819f79_b.jpg
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:41 pm

Sure is hard to get a handle on all the markings and odd combinations of parts on these old guys.

The one pictured on the left, the 1929 is a hex, has a wartime front sight, a post war stock, and a new rear sight but the space is there between the sight and the barrel so its likely ex'dragoon. Its a 91/30 with all matching numbers. Not sure if I'll shoot this one...too pretty.

The M44 1944 in the middle looks to have its original wartime stock but a post war front sight. Its a round not a hex. Also all matching numbers.

The one on the right is a 1942 91/30. It has a post war front sight and a pre-war stock with screwed in escutcheons. The bolt says 516 and no other crossed out numbers. The butt plate shows 516 and no crossed out numbers. The mag cover has a 516 but there is another serial that is crossed out. If you look at the barrel the serial ends in 516 but there are other characters before the 516 that I assume are original but those characters dont show on the other serials....weird? Did they use partial serials when replacing parts?

Thanks for identifying the square. I have a buddy with the same square and we were looking everywhere for the answer!
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:10 pm

There is no such thing as a war time or post war front sight on a Mosin, your Dragoon came originally with a barley corn front sight and a Konovalov rear sight which sometime after 1934 was upgraded to the std 91/30 rear sight and front globe sight. Your 91/30 and M44 always had a front globe sight. As for the stocks, the fall in 3 basic catagories

pre-war - these have screwed in sling slots and where used up thru 1941

war time - these have no liners on the rear slots and 1/2 liners on the front slots and where used up til 1945

post war, these are the full pressed in sling slots and where used post war

Now that said, you should only use that as a guide line since you never say never in the land of Mosin's, Tula was using pressed in sling slots on there PU snipers in 1944 ( hardly post war), and there are some war time carbine stocks with rear screwed in sling slots and front 1/2 liners ( recycled stocks) I even own an 1944 Izhevsk M44 in an M44 stock with screwed in sling slots. ( recyled M38 stock)

Here are some good reference sights for you.

http://7.62x54r.net/

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/

http://www.mosinnagant.net/default.asp
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:04 pm

My mistake on the front sights. I thought I read somewhere that the post war globes where machined from one piece of steel and that the wartime sights had a steel ring welded to a base. The post war machined having a round bottom to the globe when viewed from the front and the wartime having a flat bottom when viewed from the front...I'll try to find the site I saw that on. I prefer to not to spread misinformation if at all possible. There is probably so much mosin info that is not accurate because people are interpreting the different characteristics and drawing their own conclusions...thanks :oops:
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:29 pm

There was a lot of minor changes to components used to produce Mosin's ( stepped tangs, high wall recievers, stamped floor plates, ect) . The major differences in mosin globe front sights is the base size, the base on 91/30's is smaller and accepts a bayo, while the base on an M38 is wider and not designed to accept a bayo.