1916 PTG M91 in an early stock

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

1916 PTG M91 in an early stock

Post by Miller Tyme » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:09 pm

Found this on GB about a week and a half ago and it had enough oddities going for it to make me want it. It's a 1916 PTG M91 with obvious signs of a Balkan heritage, the stock is an early Izhevsk stock with out the sling slots and has the telltale holes put in by the Austrians in WW1 to install there sling mounts on there captured rifles. The rear sling mount isn't Finn, and I am told it appears to be an Austrian mount but I have not verified that as of yet. The rifle it self is a mix master of Izhevsk and Tula parts and the magazine sling mount is still intact. The action has less than 10% bluing left on it but the bore is in remarkable good shape.

All in all it is just what my collect needs, a true mutt, but a mutt with pedigree

“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Re: 1916 Izhevsk M91 in an early stock

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:59 pm

That reminds me. Back in November of 2000, Century had a shipment of Balkin M91's that had just arrived. Judging from the price they were offered for it must have been a big boat load. I bought three of them for $39.87 each including whatever the shipping was. So.. probably it was three for $100...in fact that was what it was now thinking more on it.

One had a "C" denoting Serbia. One had a B in a circle denoting Bulgaria. The "C" was Imperial Tula marked, 1917, The Bulgarian was Izhevsk 1914 and the third, which I don't note any country property stamp is Imperial Tula 1899.

I still have them. Have to give that 1899 another look.

Looks like on yours there is a B in a circle on the side of the barrel behind the sight.