44 Izhevsk PU sniper, Yugo or Polish refurb ???????

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

44 Izhevsk PU sniper, Yugo or Polish refurb ???????

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:39 pm

Still debating over on Gunboards whether my new PU sniper is Yugo or Polish refurb, but either way I am quite pleased with it.

Went to the OGAC Show today and found a PU sniper that just intrigued me, It's a 44 Izhevsk PU sniper with a Non Matching scope. It is not import marked, in a post war stock that is devoid of all Russian refurb stamps ( or stamps of any kind save a little box with a circle in it on the butt stock) and has a finish on it a lot like a Yugoslavian rebuild. The rear sight is "in the white" and the front barrel band and the mag door release are both "plum" colored like on Polish M44's. Additionally the front barrel band, front barrel band spring clip and bolt head have no arsenal stamps on them other than a "Y" which most of my Polish M44's also have. Additionally it came with a Polsh M44 sling. I thought it might be a Yugo refurb but the lack of the Yugo arsenal stamp doesn't help that cause. The gentleman I bought it from says he has been told it is a Polish refurb PU and that I came in through Canada, but he had nothing to back it up. I figured for the offer I gave him I figured I could do no worse than have a PU worth the sum of it's parts. I did a search of the forum and Richard posted a rifle who's description is very similar to this ( alas the pics are all gone from that post).

“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: 44 Izhevsk PU sniper, Yugo or Polish refurb ???????

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Now that is NICE Thanks Walt :razz:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:32 pm

Looks like the receiver, bolt, magazine and butt plate have matching numbers that are not force match....right? That's a good thing. Looks like it had a matching scope at one time by the barrel side serial numbers suggesting it really was accepted as a sniper rifle. The stock with the patch behind the bolt handle is interesting. If it is post war as you note.... what caused the damage that caused the need for repari? If it's replacement stock someone either matched the butt plate or numbered it to match.

I don't know as much about such things as you but I can see it is an interesting rifle to add to the collection.
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks Duncan, it's finds like this that make it all worth while
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:25 pm

It's got a No. 5 scope...not war period. I got a No. 4 not sniper rifle war time either. Wonder what the Numbers... mean as to time built? Any difference between a No. 4 and a No. 5?
Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Post by Dutch Mosin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:09 pm

I know I asked you this before but I still wonder how you manage to find these gems.
Very nice looking PU sniper Walt.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin :NET:
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:07 pm

Very nice I need one of those.
Miller Tyme

Post by Miller Tyme » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Dutch Mosin wrote:I know I asked you this before but I still wonder how you manage to find these gems.
Very nice looking PU sniper Walt.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin :NET:

I found this one at a collectors gun show Martin. I saw it earlier in the day and I wasn't sure what to make of it, but I thought it might be a Yugoslavian refurb. Well 5 hours latter it was still for sale, and I figured it was all legit parts so once I got the seller down to $800.00 it was hard to go wrong. We talked for a while afterwards and I told him I thought it was a Yugo refurb that just didn't get the /124\ stamp, that's when he told me it was a Polish refurb and came in through Canada ( not import marked). Well after posting it up on some other forums I found another collector with a mirror image gun, and a collector in Italy confirmed it as being indeed a Polish Refurb. Guess I can scratch another sniper off my want list. :lol:

Sometimes it pays to be lucky. :bigsmile: