a tale of 2 Bannermans

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

a tale of 2 Bannermans

Post by Miller Tyme » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:06 pm

I have been wanting a Bannerman Carbine for some time since it is an interesting side story to the Mosin Nagant story in the U.S. So over the last couple of weeks I have been able to acquire both a Remington Bannerman carbine ( that has been sporterized LOL) and a N.E.W. Bannerman carbine.
Both carbines are mix masters as far as the s/n'ed parts go, but both have only parts from there respective company. The Remington is spotless with a beautiful bore. The stock was modified by the previous owner to suit his tastes, and is quite nice. The N.E.W. on the other hand is the same as the day it left the Bannerman facuilty. It has its share of dings and scratches, some minor rust, and a dark bore but with good rifling.

The appear to be handy little carbines, and I am planning on getting some reduced load 30.06 ammo and trying them out at the range before putting them away in the collection.

The Remington Bannerman Carbine

The N.E.W. Bannerman Carbine
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Re: a tale of 2 Bannermans

Post by Niner » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:41 pm

Bannerman is a real historic source in itself. Good find. Wonder if the conversion is fine? I can see why you would use reduced loads. Maybe even tie it to a tree and use a long rope on the first discharge. :bigsmile:

Too bad there are no time machines. We could go back, after cashing in our retirement funds, and buy one of everything...maybe more than one of everything.
Attachments
front.jpg
page.jpg
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:59 am

That's another variation on the MN theme I've never heard of before, and in 30.06 too, thanks for sharing the info and pics Gents.

Joe
Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Post by Dutch Mosin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:48 am

You have found 2 gems Miller.
I have read about the Bannerman conversions and also heard that they are not safe to shoot.
I have never seen one with my own eyes over here.
Very wise to use reduced loads but please take Roberts advise and be careful when shooting it for the first time.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Met vriendelijke groet.

Martin :NET:
deadin
Site Sponsor 2016

Post by deadin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:47 am

I didn't realize that one could set the barrel of a M-N back far enough to cut a 30/06 chamber into it.... :shock: Of course the .311 to .313 bore diameter should relieve a lot of the pressure from a .308 bullet.... ;)

(I'm with the tree and rope crowd.... ;) )
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Interesting thanks for posting.