Starting from Scratch.

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

AT LAST!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:53 pm

I sold a Meopta scope today and so have ordered a 91/30 from a company called Nemrod Frankonia in Ensieim, Alsace.

As I don't speak good French my pal Alain, who is originally from the region telephoned and checked out their military department.

The next batch of 91/30's that they are expecting will be in May. I have selected a 91/30 Sniper with a mount but without the scope. The rifles will be sent to the local Proof House for inspection and then, once passed as fit for sale, will be returned to Frankonia for re-chambering as required. The guy we spoke to today confirmed that he would select the best stock possible and after re-chambering to 30-284W, the rifle would be proofed. I will receive, with the rifle, the proofing confirmation target and the empty cases. They guarantee a 5cm group at 100 mtrs.

Price will be 319€ plus carriage.

Delivery to me should be late May.

At last, my own MILSURP.............http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... woohoo.gif[/pic]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... woohoo.gif[/pic]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... woohoo.gif[/pic]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... woohoo.gif[/pic]
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:11 pm

Is it a original sniper that seems a reasonable price for a sniper even without the scope.

Im not familiar with the cartridge can you give more info.
DuncaninFrance

dh.......

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:04 pm

As far as I can make out from what Alain told me at the time, it is a Sniper without the scope.

If I was to buy a complete Sniper it would cost upwards of 500€ and in the best condition with a set of re-loading dies for .303 sporting it would be about 900€.

The 30-284W is a Winchester caliber but is classed as a Hunting Caliber here in France so the rifle is classed as a Cat 5 firearm. All I need to do is to tell the local gendarmes when I am passing that I have bought it and that is all the control there is. If I bought it in 7.62-54 then that is a Cat 1 - military caliber - and that means all sorts of paperwork and stamps. Both calibers kill just as dead!!!

One other point is that it comes with a Gurantee so if I am not 100% happy, back it goes!!

Delivery seems a L O N G way away :cry:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:31 pm

.303 sporting what does that mean.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:53 pm

If it's not too late in May you might be able to use it for the competition. :D
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
DuncaninFrance

I GET ANOTHER CHANCE?

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:42 am

We will have to create another team W. How about "Team Sneaky Sneaky" :cool:

As to .303 'Sporting', I will have to get exact details from ESP but I think it is based on 'necking-down' the case. As long as you have a cartridge that is not EXACTLY the same as the military one you can register the weapon as a Category 5, even though it will still perform exactly the same as the mil round! That's the French for you!!
Duncan

awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:28 am

Duncan, how hard is it for you to import from Germany?

I know a dealer, who has some very nice, like new finn M39 for sale.

They are more limited than the russian Mosins, that is sure.

Get the finns now, the russian are plentyfull here.

Chris
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:07 pm

Duncan, how hard is it for you to import from Germany?
To be honest with you Chris I don't know. I am currently working on a very tight budget and the deal done with Frankonia SEEMS to be a good one. Time will tell! ( There is a guarantee of grouping and quality offered).

Because I am English and living in France I think that I have to be seen to be squeaky clean in everything I do. Because of this I think that the first Milsurp Cat 5 should be fully documented. Once I am home and dry with the paperwork I shall look a bit deeper into other sources !!

Anyway, I am sure I will have some questions once the beast has been delivered so Stand By!!
Duncan

DaveGreen1954
Contributing Member

Post by DaveGreen1954 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:57 pm

The first think I would consider is the purpose of the acquisition, i.e., collecting or shooting (or both). From there I would look at what features would be necessary to have it fall into whichever classification. Obviously, collecting would have more guidelines as to arsenal, year, markings, matching parts, etc. than obtaining a good shooter where you look more closely at barrel erosion and wear, functioning and such.

Just some passing thoughts...

Dave
DuncaninFrance

You are right to a point Dave.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:40 am

Trouble is this category thing in France. Cat 1 & 4 (ANY pistol/revolver except BP replicas) need lots of officialdom and 5 does not.

For instance, a Webley service revolver requires the same paperwork in Cat 4 as does a single shot .22 pistol, not that I posses either. I do own a .44 1858 Remington New Model Army for which I no NO PAPERWORK at all! I would rather stand 25 meters in front of the .22 single shot than the Remington any day :!:
Duncan