KALINKA OPTICS

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Wed May 16, 2007 12:20 am

The iron sights are not that bad, the U notch an front post are by far better than ths V notch/inverted V front on Mausers.

It was a good decission to copy the swiss G11 rearsight and add a second row of steps :mrgreen: plus thw hooded front post.

If they only had added a better trigger :roll:

But that was left for the Finns to do and can be done relatively easy to every russin trigger as well.

Chris
Stan in SC
Regular visitor

Scoping a 91/30

Post by Stan in SC » Wed May 16, 2007 5:05 am

The kalinka scopes are nice but in the finished product the scope sits up much too high to shoot comfortably.Several years ago before the SOG $339 jobbies became available I took a really nice shooting 91/30 and ordered the mount scope and all from Kalinka.Had my gunsmith drill and tap for the mount,installed it and after all that falderol just plain didn't like the way it felt or shot.Sold it.

Later I discovered that (A) the 91/30 rear sight sits on a dovetail and is very easily removed with no mod to the rifle,and (B) a company called "Makarov.com" sells a $39.95 mount which will sit on the dovetail and hold a scout scope.A very nicely made mount I might add.I purchased one and mounted it and added a Tasco 1.5X-4X30 pistol scope.I wound up with a rock solid mount and a rifle that's comfortable and easy to shoot and which is very very accurate.

Darrell is a friend of mine and I certainly respect his products but I like the Makarov mount.

The second alternative which I have also explored successfully is to make your own scount mount from a spare 91/30 rear sight(easily obtainable).But that's another story and too long to type right now.If this story would like to be heard I will do so another day on request.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

The LT-2 sight adjuster.Have you adjusted today?

This space for rent.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Thanks Stan

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed May 16, 2007 11:00 am

I for one would certainly be interested in making a Scout Mount. Post away my friend!!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Wed May 16, 2007 12:14 pm

There is a relatively simpel way.

But for that you have to remove the rearsightbase, easy if it is a Ishevsk M91/30, the bases are pinned on, just drive out the pins and slide off.

On Tula M91/30 the bse is soldered on and und set screw is used.

Then you get some high 11mm rings and put tehm on the dove tail.

For bettet fir you can file a semicircular cutout to one base and use one of the two pins to hold it on.

But best thing is to wait for Darrells Mount, did the same for My M39.

Chris
Stan in SC
Regular visitor

Self made 91/30 scout mount

Post by Stan in SC » Wed May 16, 2007 8:01 pm

AWO425,I have seen what you mentioned done.Here's my method.

Obtain a 91/30 rear sight.Cut off the "T" rear section of the sight riser and remove the slider.The riser should be cut just short enough to lie flat in the sight base.Remove this now from the sight base.The sight base has scalloped edges.Grind these flush with the side of the base.Reblue.

Reinstall the riser.Drill and tap the riser to the sight base.It now will not tilt up.Now drill and tap a Weaver base onto the fixed riser.Now remove the stock rear sight from your 91/30 or 91/59(both have the dovetail).Install the newly modified base.Install scope.Go shoot.I have done five or six of these and they work slick.

If I was not clear enough on my instructions post here and I'll see if I can clear it up.I had all of the drill and tap work done by a friend who is a gunsmith but it can all be done by you in your garage or home work shop.

If it's beyond your time or abilities limit let me know and I'll see how much he might charge to do one.

By the way I found the cheap NCstar scopes work good and are relatively cheap.

Stan

This space for rent.
DuncaninFrance

Thanks for that Chris & Stan.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu May 17, 2007 2:25 am

Looks like a job I can do. Have you any pictures of the end result for reference?

My 91/30 is not due till mid June so I won't be trying this till I get it. Plenty of time to think eh! :|
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Stan in SC
Regular visitor

Pictures?

Post by Stan in SC » Thu May 17, 2007 6:54 am

Duncan,I'll try to locate some pictures.I know I have some but in what file.

Stan

This space for rent.
Stan in SC
Regular visitor

Pictures

Post by Stan in SC » Fri May 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Well I cannot find the pictures.They must have been on the old hard drive which crashed.Sorry about that.

Stan

This space for rent.
DuncaninFrance

Thanks for looking Stan

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat May 19, 2007 2:27 am

I will have to wait and see what site the rifle has before I get too carried away with what I am going to try. Just wish the thing would arrive :razz:

I crept onto Gunboards this week so will keep an eye open there as well! :cool:
Duncan

awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Sat May 19, 2007 3:32 am

Does it take that long every time you buy gun in France????

:shock:

Our gunlaw in Germany is relatively strict, but if you have a licence, you can go and buy a gun and take it with you.

I imported quite some guns already, even that was done under 1 month easely.

BTW, will pick up a Mosin Carbine next wednesday on my way home :bigsmile: