KALINKA OPTICS

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Hi Chris.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat May 19, 2007 6:05 am

Here, if the gun is on the shelf so to speak then no problem, you pay, you fill in a register book and you walk out with it UNLESS it is Cat 1 or 4.

Because I am buying this from Frankonia in Alsac and it has to be be re-chambered to 30-284W to make it Cat 5, they only started working on it when they got my deposit. It is at the proof house in St Etienne at the moment I believe, so once they get it back they will then check fire it and if satisfied I will get a bill for the balance. When I have paid that they will send it.

There are only really 3 serious gun shops in Bordeaux now and non of them had a 91/30 in stock. One had a 44 but it was chambered to a very powerful hunting round which was to say the least, very irresponsible. That shop is known for it's bad attitude to shooters so I would only buy new there or BP.

Another 'problem' is that we are leaving for a 10 day holiday in Italy (Amalfi) on Wednesday so If any invoice comes I shall not be able to deal with with till I get back.

:roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Sat May 19, 2007 7:01 am

Hm, I forgot about that rechambering thing, THANK GOD, we do not need that here.

So you can not use cheap surplus or factory ammo???

And remember, the groove diameter ist somewhere .312" to .314", so that .308" bullets make no real sense in russian Mosins.

I saw a rel nice FN short police carbine here, but it was rechambered to 8x60 :cry:

Is it that hard to get a gun in military caliber as a sport shooter in France?

There are some more cartridges based on the 7,62x54R and in Finlnad you can fet an old hunting rifle in such calibers real cheap.

8,2x53R or 9,3x53R.

I know a dealer, who has a russian match rifle in 6,5x54R, but no ammo for it :cry:

Chris
DuncaninFrance

Categories

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat May 19, 2007 8:16 am

It is because the French government just before the Second World War were so worried that someone could come across a stash of Military Ammo and use it in an uprising that they changed the rules about owning Military Caliber weapons and thus the Cat 1 & Cat 4 bands.

Yes, it does mean you can't use cheap mil ammo unless you jump through a lot of hoops and get your Cat 1 certs.

There are rumored to be a lot of military caliber weapons around that are not declared but I wouldn't know anything about them :roll:

As to the actual choice of round, when I get the rifle I am taking it to a guy in Bordeaux to have it sized properly and to have a shim of metal taken off the inside rear of the magazine so that the longer case will fit. That's another 50€!

:cry:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Sat May 19, 2007 9:28 am

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, MAJOR pain in the rear end to get just a gun to shoot with!!!!!

To bad, that there are no other alternatives, but reboring a barrel like the Finns did, would also cost a good number of Euros.

Enfield would be much easier, convert to .303Epps and use fireformed .303brit brass.

If you ever come in my neck of the woods, you are invited to shoot unchanged finn or russian guns!!!!!!!!!!!!
PeterN2

Any worse than a UK FAC

Post by PeterN2 » Sat May 19, 2007 9:59 am

Duncan, are the hoops to get a military calibre rifle in France any worse than getting a UK FAC?

Regards

Peter
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat May 19, 2007 11:00 am

If you ever come in my neck of the woods, you are invited to shoot unchanged finn or russian guns!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Chris, most kind of you. Exactly where are you ?
..are the hoops to get a military caliber rifle in France any worse than getting a UK FAC?
Good question Peter. I will check out the actual requirements and let you know then you can tell me!!

An inerrant part of every Frenchman is that he does NOT trust officialdom in any shape or form and so either ignores the rules or legally bends them to get his way. :lol: If you think about it, a 30x284W will kill you just as dead as a 7.62x54 and if you are as finicky as my friend Alain, EVERY round loaded will be IDENTICAL to the last :cool:
Duncan

awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Sat May 19, 2007 12:39 pm

I sit near Leipzig in th eastern part of Krautistan :mrgreen:
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat May 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Thats about 1500 kms from here. Don't think it is an area that I shall be seeing for a while! Wife is NOT looking that way for holidays at the moment :roll: Mind you, if I ever became a widower......... :lol:
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Categorie 1 requirements in France.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun May 20, 2007 5:49 am

OK Peter here is the system in France.

1) Join a club and get your Fédération Français de TIR Licence Fédéral.

2) Be a member for at least 6 months and prove you are safe and reliable. You must also have a medical examination and the doctors signature on the back of the Licence as well as the President of the Club.

3) Ask the Club for a permit to own and shoot a Cat 1 firearm.The Club will process your application and provided they are happy with it, send it to the local Préfecture.

4)If the Préfecture are happy then they will send it to the local gendarmerie who will make inquiries and visit you. This can take up to 6 months. If THEY are happy you will get your permit.

5) The permit is for one gun only although you do not have to say what type when you apply. The permit is 'live' for 3 months and you must buy a gun within that time limit.

6) The permit allows you to purchase up to 1000 rounds per year for that weapon. You can of course load as many as you want to but 'factory ammo' is limited to 1000 rounds per year.

7) You have to go through processes 3-5 for EVERY firearm in Cat 1 that you want to own.

So there you are Peter - better or worse than the UK?http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... hiding.gif[/pic]

:FRA: :FRA: :FRA:
Duncan

awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Sun May 20, 2007 8:29 am

...........I like living in G ;)

Here you've got to be a member in a club for 12 month, pass a exam and the local authorities will check your crime register.

Your club must give you a permission for each type of licence(Green licence for every weapon)

You can get two type of licences than, "green" is for pistols/Revolvers and Semiautos, you have to say, what kind and caliber the gun should be, aber the licence to buy will be valid one year.

The "yellow" licence permits to buy sigle loaders and repaeting rifles, plus BP revolvers and sigle shot pistols, no limit, if the licence is filled, you just get another.

Ammo is not limited, but to get NC powder, you have to alpy for a special licence(requires exam too).

The red collectors licence is different, but not impossible to get.

Same goes for ammo collectorrs licence(You know, we Germans LOVE licences :mrgreen: )

Chris