Mosin Nagant 91/30 Trigger Pull

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Mosin Man

Mosin Nagant 91/30 Trigger Pull

Post by Mosin Man » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:57 am

Has anyone adjusted the trigger pull on a 91/30? I would like to clean up. Make it a bit crisper and also lighten the trigger pull just a little. Any information on this help. Thank you

The trigger on my M44 is a bit more crisp and lighter then any of my 91/30's, Will these parts interchange with the 91/30's?

Mosin Man
oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Re: Mosin Nagant 91/30 Trigger Pull

Post by oldironsights » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:27 pm

Mosin triggers are very simple & somewhat crude. They are usually very easy to tweak.
You can tweak the one you have by stoning or polishing the narrow neck of the sear/spring that engages the actual trigger. You can carefully stone the sear face that engages the cocking piece & lightly stone the sear area of the cocking piece also. The sear/spring can be slightly bent to reduce trigger slop/play, but you must exercise great care when doing this. The spring could break, or even worse, you can leave just a small area of sear engagement that can result in a "hair trigger" & be subject to a discharge when jolted. It is best to check your engagement after re assembly by hitting the rifle's buttstock on the floor with the bolt cocked. If it stays cocked, you are safe, otherwise...........
Some folks add shims between the sear/spring & the receiver base where the sear/spring is screwed to the receiver, but I don't like that method.
Not all Mosin trigger parts have the same dimensions. You will find WIDE variations in the measurements of the trigger parts as well as wide variations in the quality of those parts, with the wartime parts being the worst & the Russian refurbs being a jumbled mix of mismatched parts thrown together without much care.

If polishing or stoning the rough surface engagement areas of the sear/spring to trigger, & the sear to cocking piece does not give you a desired result, then buy a handful of sear/springs, cocking pieces & a trigger or two, & experiment with the different combination until you arrive at your desired result.
Just remember to check your work.

Russian Mosin triggers are all interchangeable from the early M91's to the later M44's & every model in between.
I believe the Romanian triggers are different, & many Finnish modified triggers may not be suitable.

There are Huber modified triggers that you can buy, & Timmeny triggers may arrive soon for purchase, but I have not tried these.
If You Can Read This, Thank A Teacher!
If You Can Read This In English, Thank A Veteran!

Help save this retired fighting ship from the scrapyard;
http://www.ussorleck.org