91/30 Refurbs

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

aprayinbear
Regular visitor

91/30 Refurbs

Post by aprayinbear » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:51 pm

Let the opinions Fly!

I've been looking over some of the 91/30 refurbs I've seen listed on the net for some time now. I'm a real history nut, but mostly I'm a shooter. For me there's nothing like a day at the range. I also live on a fixed income and a tight budget. Seems that you can find a nice hex receiver 91/30 with matching bolt/ receiver and nice muzzle and bore for around $100. And ammo is cheap! I know these aren't the most collectible, but how are they as shooters and what dealers would you suggest?

Happy Shootin' :mrgreen:
Niner
Site Admin

Re: 91/30 Refurbs

Post by Niner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:51 am

91/30's are one of the few real bargains in the milsurp world right now. Stuff used to come in waves of surplus bargains, but things have slowed considerably in the last couple of years. The 91/30 would be a good one to cut your milsurp teeth on right now. They shoot respectable in most all cases and the ammo, although rising in price is still affordable.

If you get a hex receiver, they are a little more rare than the standard round receiver. It was believed that the hex receivers were symbolic of the early 91/30's.....just using up the old receiver parts until the round ones would be worked in. I'm not sure if this is altogether true or not, but this is part of the milsurp story that changes over time as new information comes to light. And serial numbers aren't often all matching on Nagants, although often there are force matches with the orginal serial number lined through. This is pretty much normal for these rifles that have had many lives.

Most of the latest "refurbished" 91/30's seem to be from the same overseas part of the world and can be gotten any number of places in the US now. The best prices may be through online dealers. The online sources vary from month to month. I'd think SOG has the best prices at the moment. However, you will have to pay a transfer fee to a local dealer, unless you spring for a C&R license. You will have to do some checking around and do the math.
aprayinbear
Regular visitor

Post by aprayinbear » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks Niner!

I've been snooping around the web, to see who has good value etc. and I like the looks of the choices at Classic Arms. I appreciate the info. I'm definitely new to the milsurp world and just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. I understand there's even a Lee loader for the 7.62 x 54R round. I was also looking at the k 31's, but the ammo cost is too much for me. Maybe in time. Once I make a decision, I'll post photos.

Great getting to meet you guys :mrgreen:
scrmblerkari

Post by scrmblerkari » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:05 pm

Taller, modified front sight - post centered in sight protector
Taller, modified front sight - post centered in sight protector
Detail of maker's marks and year of manufacture
1937 Izhevsk 91/30
1937 Izhevsk 91/30
Dear Sprayinbear,
My experience with a garden-variety 1937 Izhevsk, round receiver, has been very good. It is a refurb, not cosmetically perfect (a number of scratches in the finish, many put there by me), the bore is very good, the barrel, bolt and buttplate match and do not look like a forced match, either. i bought it in a gun store for $100.00 here in California. As for internet purchase, I've bought from several companies and never had a terrible experience with any of them, but for accurate descriptions and handpick quality rifles, I don't believe anyone else I've used is at the level of Empire Arms. There's a long, no-nonsense description of the mechanics of the transaction at the beginning. This may put you off but it is really the right way to do it and prevents problems later. The owner/operator communicates well, is very knowledgeable, helpful and concerned that you be satisfied with your purchase.
I'm attaching some details of my rifle and some targets shot off a rest at 100 yds with handloads. I like to shoot this rifle.
The only modification I've made to it is to weld on about a 1mm spacer in the front sight to make it shoot OK at 100 yds,
with a six 0'clock hold. A lot of people just put a piece of tubing around the front sight and bring the post up, but I like the post centered in the middle of the sight protector. I think I shoot better that way. The trigger is terrible! But I just adapt to it and it isn't that much of a handicap once you come to terms with it.
I have a lot of Finnish rifles which I shoot, and they are very accurate. But my old, cheap 91/30 will hold its own against all but the best of them. I really enjoy shooting it, even moreso next to someone with a modern rifle. This particular rifle, you can't see this from the photographs, has matching barrel, bolt, magazine cover & buttplate. The bore is very, very good, which is always my first determinant for purchase, and why you really need to have a good relationship with a long-distance seller who agrees with you on what the words used to describe the bore mean.
All in all, I think the M 91/30 can be a great rifle for the money, but you have to be very selective. There is a ton of junk out there and not that many really nice ones.
kari
Attachments
100 Yd, target off a rest, 5 shots, w/handloads
100 Yd, target off a rest, 5 shots, w/handloads
100 Yd. target off a rest, 10 shots, w/handloads
100 Yd. target off a rest, 10 shots, w/handloads
aprayinbear
Regular visitor

Post by aprayinbear » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:45 pm

Many Thanks Scrmblerkari,

The pics of your rifle and targets have my mouth watering! Nice shootin' by the way. Are you shooting iron sights as pictured or with a scope? I'm with you..... cosmetics are secondary, while bore and muzzle are everything. After the holidays I'll probably call a few of the dealers and see who feels the best to me before ordering.

All The Best! :mrgreen:
scrmblerkari

Post by scrmblerkari » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:56 pm

Dear Aprayingbear,
Iron sights. 100 yds. 150 gr. Sierra FB Spitzer handloads. I wouldn't dream of putting a scope on one of those pretty old rifles!
I do use a little stick-on aperture on my shooting glasses though, it acts like a pinhole camera and brings front and rear sights into focus for my not-so-young-anymore eyes. Your idea of calling around and going with whom you feel comfortable with is a very good way to do it.
Last thing...
Don't be in a rush. I must have looked at various Mosins for a couple of months before I felt I knew enough about what was out there to set realistic standards and make a decision. And when I saw the one I have, it took only about a minute before I had my wallet out.
As has been said on other forums, they can be great shooters! Mine is just as I bought it except for the front sight being raised.
Someday I will get around to fixing that creepy 9 lb. trigger, too. Otherwise I am not messing with it!
Good luck on your quest, Kari
aprayinbear
Regular visitor

Post by aprayinbear » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:41 am

Dear Kari,

Just curious.... what method did you use for raising your front sights? And a little aside. I've been thinking about trying to use an aperture as well. At 54 my eyes might welcome a little help!

All The Best :mrgreen:
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:22 pm

There is another alternative. Some dealers offer a sight rail that fits in where the rear site is on the Nagant. No drilling or unreversable alteration required. I've seen them offered for $19, although would require rings and a scope. I never have tried this but know that others have.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:11 pm

I bought a very nice mosin nagant of Joseyclosey and fitted a scope mount. He has never forgiven me.
But having said that the mount is a DARREL mount it replaces the original rear sight it takes 10 minutes to return it to the original set up.
It uses a short eye relief pistol scope and works very well.
I can post pictures if you want. If I remember rightly it wasnt hugely expensive either.
Oh and it shoots very well.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:59 pm

I've met Darrell. He lives fifty or sixty miles from me. I've seen his mounts and they are rock solid. Think they run somewhere around $75 now. It's all a small production product. Pretty much a hand made thing. He's branched out from Nagant scope mounts since he started eight or nine years ago.