New to the Site two Mosins

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Wolfgang

New to the Site two Mosins

Post by Wolfgang » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Hello everyone,

New to the site and really just started looking around. I got a 91/30 from my wife as a Christmas gift and then I ended up buying a 1943 marked Model 38 at a gun auction on New Years Day. From what I have gathered from reading here as well as other sites, the 38 has been redone and has been backbored and looks to have a Model 44 stock as there appears to be a groove on the right side for the bayonet. I paid a $100.00 for it so I guess I did ok. Picked up some milsurp ammo at a gun show and plan on casting and reloading for them. Have not had the chance to shoot either of them yet but I'm looking forward to it as soon as I get the chance. Anything I should know before hand?

Thanks for a great site,

Wolfgang
"I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."
oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Re: New to the Site two Mosins

Post by oldironsights » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Wear your sun.... I mean shooting glasses! The dark ones.
Those are fun rifles to shoot.
Also wear twice the hearing protection( ear insert & hard shell outer ).
You have a typical Russian refurbished M38 that is counterbored (recessed crown) & sits in a new M44 or modified M38 stock.
Welcome aboard & drop by often!
If You Can Read This, Thank A Teacher!
If You Can Read This In English, Thank A Veteran!

Help save this retired fighting ship from the scrapyard;
http://www.ussorleck.org
Niner
Site Admin

Re: New to the Site two Mosins

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:07 pm

The carbine Nagants are a bit confusing to me. Somebody correct me if I go wrong as I stumble through this thumbnail history...... There was an early version carbine made in about 1907 for a few years. Then the 1938 carbine was made through the early 40's. Some, like yours, were put in stocks made for the later M44. Production of the M38 ended in favor of M44 which had the bayonet attached. Then there is the so called 91/38. This was made from cut down hex receiver M91's using mostly M44 stock, but no bayonets attached and so look like the earlier Model 38's, although made some time after WWII. These weren't redated...at least mine wasn't....and show original early M91 dates on the receivers. Then there were the 91/59's made the same as the 91/38's but from, mostly, the round receivers of the 91/30 but stamp on the receiver in addtion to the orginal date as 1891/59. The 91/38's and 91/59's were cold war secondary arms. Maybe even below secondary, if there is such a thing. Most are in great condition as they were generally only stored and not abused after remanufacture as carbines.

Guess you have seen this link. But just in case.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/Model-1938-Carbine.asp