My First Milsurp!

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

aprayinbear
Regular visitor

My First Milsurp!

Post by aprayinbear » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:21 pm

:mrgreen: Well I finally did it! My first Milsurp!

Was just window shopping at a local shop when I saw what looked like a pristine hex receiver 91/30 on the rack. On closer inspection the bore and muzzle looked new. I'm sure its a refurb, but it couldn't have been fired much. Well, I didn't have the $$$ right then, but the dealer said, "No problem, we'll give you 90 days" and I was sold. He had several others which he suggested I look at first (which really impressed me because they were both still boxed, but he still wanted to take the time to make me happy.) As it turned out, the one on the rack was the nicest and the oldest (1932). A few quick calculations and I realized that even with tax and a higher then internet price, I would still save about $10-$20 over an internet buy where I would have to pay for shipping and ffl transfer.

So I'm trying to be patient until I scrape up the last few bucks to bring her home. Can't wait to fire off a few rounds at the range! Thanks guy for your suggestions and encouragement!

Happy shooting!
Niner
Site Admin

Re: My First Milsurp!

Post by Niner » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Great to hear you are now a member of the milsurp owners club. Sounds like you picked a good one to start with. Give us a report after you bring it home.
aprayinbear
Regular visitor

Post by aprayinbear » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:48 pm

:mrgreen:

Picked up my 91/30 today. Have to admit, I felt like a kid at Christmas. I was happy to see that the #'s match on bolt, receiver and butt plate. The floor plate has been force matched. The muzzle and bore appear almost unused. Rifling is sharp and clean. And the overall condition is great with only a few dings and scrapes. Mine is a 1932 Izzy with hex receiver. There's something about the functionality of these bargain basement firearms that really sparks my imagination!

I was surprised after seeing all the videos about "tweeking the trigger" to see that there is virtually no creep in my trigger although the pull is pretty heavy. I can deal with heavy as long as the let off is crisp. I also found that 3/4 of the barrel length is free floated. If I finish the job, and or bed the receiver, will that disqualify me for vintage competition?

Now I have to be patient until I can get to the range. In the meantime, here's a few pics.....

Happy Shooting!
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 pm

That is a good looking refurb you got there. And it even came with a sling. Good first milsurp. Now you have to get some ammo and see how it shoots.

Milsurp collectors are generally of the do as little as possible to it school of thought. However, if you shim the barrel or re-bed it I don't think any of the died in the wool will get excited over it if you let it be known.

Try shooting it first before you do any tinkering with the bedding. It might shoot better than you expect.
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Congratulations. Thats a sweet looking 91/30, but be careful Mosins, have a tendency to multiply! :D
There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
Winston Churchill
Member: VFW, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, Society of the 5th Infantry Division
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 am

Mosins, have a tendency to multiply!
Just as well I resisted the ex-Dragoons available here
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/shot_an ... nagant.php
Well I didn't resist them really, but I was seriously considering a purchase until something else came along and blew the budget :lol:
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Looks like these guns, although fine looking, are mostly going for $495 Australian money which is the same as $445 in US money. Wow....that's a pretty good markup...or could it be that they are taxed to the merchant so stiffly that they have to ask as much as they do?