Dirty old Westinghouse.

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Candyman
Contributing Member

Dirty old Westinghouse.

Post by Candyman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:34 am

I picked up a dirty old New England Westinghouse M91 at a gun show on November 17th 2007.
It was only my 2nd or 3rd Mosin at the time and I really didn't know much about them. This old rifle really got me to start doing some resarch on Mosins and now I have 24 Mosins, 5 of which are M91's.

When I bough the dirty old Westinghouse, I didn't know how hard and long the search for a replacement stock would be.
I did get a Bulgarian marked stock from Oldironsights (Clay) about a year ago. It was a pertty good stock but I was just not happy with the look of the rifle. Then back in Octber of 2009, on the way home from the Forum shoot in Ohio, Clay and I stopped in at a little shop in Alabama. We stopped at the little shop to look at some old Mosins we were told they had. Well while looking through the rifles, I found a M91 that had spent some time in Bulgaria. It had a Walnut stock I needed for my dirty old Westinghouse. I also found another rifle that I liked.
When I got home I put the rifles away. I had too many things to get done before I could mess with the stocks. Just the other day I took out the rifles and swaped the stocks. I am happy with the look of the rifle now.
It took me 2 years and 3 months to restore the Westinghouse, but it was worth it.

oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Re: Dirty old Westinghouse.

Post by oldironsights » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:53 am

Very satisfying to see an uncommon New England Westinghouse M91 with Spanish Civil War history returned to military issue condition.
Most folks would have an almost impossible time finding an intact Westinghouse or Remington stock for their M91, but you & I seem to have stumbled onto both in one place. :mrgreen:
Now to see how she shoots!
If You Can Read This, Thank A Teacher!
If You Can Read This In English, Thank A Veteran!

Help save this retired fighting ship from the scrapyard;
http://www.ussorleck.org
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Looks like the rifle came with the original stock. Too bad some Bubba took notion to ruin it. Glad you found a suitable stock to get it back to looking like it ought to look, Candyman.
Candyman
Contributing Member

Post by Candyman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:50 pm

I don't think that Bubba hacked on the original stock. The cut on the stock is a half lap joint. I have seen one or two others that have had the same cut to the stock. I have never see a complet stock with this type of repair and wonder where they might have been done.
If I ever run across the front half of a M91 stock, I will repair the original stock and put it back on the rifle.
Calfed
Regular visitor

Post by Calfed » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Good job, Candyman.

You, sir, are the Rembrandt of stock repairs

Steve