1934 Tula PE Replica & 1944 DDR PU Snipers

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

oldironsights
Sustaining Member

1934 Tula PE Replica & 1944 DDR PU Snipers

Post by oldironsights » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:44 pm

I have been searching for an ex-PE sniper for some time now in which to mount this fine Ukrainian post-war copy of the old 1930's PE scope, but finally decided to use this regular 1934 Tula 91/30 as host for the optics.
I have read where the laminated stocks were favored for sniper use because the stock would not warp from changes in heat & humidity; I like them due to their weight & appearance.
While the 1934 Tula is a replica of one of the real snipers of that era, this 1944 Izhevsk was actually a sniper at one time, & it was used in Eastern Germany after the war. The barrel is stamped with the DDR /1\ in a triangle. Again, using the fine Ukrainian post war PU scope & mount ( These are new replicas of the originals, made in the same optics factory as some of the originals, are of higher quality than the originals, & the originals were copies of the period German optics, which were considered the elite scopes of that time.)
The bores on both are very good or better & take only a few patches to fully clean & both shoot very well with ease.
I need more practice with these as the best I can do right now is about two MOA from 100yds away, but both are winners because of the experience of shooting a sniper rifle that each one gives me at a fraction of the cost of a real one.
Did I mention the real ones may suffer from hard use & degraded optics, while these new scopes are well, new?
If You Can Read This, Thank A Teacher!
If You Can Read This In English, Thank A Veteran!

Help save this retired fighting ship from the scrapyard;
http://www.ussorleck.org