Century Arms, You Fix-Em 91/30s

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Candyman
Contributing Member

Century Arms, You Fix-Em 91/30s

Post by Candyman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 pm

About two weeks ago I ordered three of Century Arms, You Fix-Em 91/30s. They were listed as missing parts and that they may not have bolts.
Well I got home today at 4pm and the BBT had not come by yet. At about 4:45pm there was a knock at the door and the BBT of happyness was sitting at the end of my driveway.
I signed for the box and was amazed that there were no parts sticking out anywhere. :lol:

And this is what I pulled out of the box. Woo Hoo! All three have bolts. :mrgreen:

Here is what I got, three war time production rifles. 1944 Tula, 1943 Izhevsk and a 1941 Izhevsk.

The 1941 Izhevsk has a split at the heel of the butt. The damage is not bad and was caused by the buttplate.

The 44 Tula is missing the front sight globe and the 43 Izhevsk has an early style 91/30 front sight blade. 8-) And all have the cleaning rods. :D

The 44 Tula has some perty good damage to the stock, but nothing I can't fix.

The the only thing missing on the 41 Izhevsk is the lower buttplate screw and that is what allowed the buttplate to move during shipping and damage the stock.

When I went to remove the bolts, the bolts in the 44 Tula and the 43 Izhevsk would not come out. The trigger pins were missing. :(
So all in all I did pertty good. These therr rifles will round out my war time rifles, I already have a 1942 Izhevsk.

List of missing parts
2 trigger pins
1 front sight globe
1 Buttplate screw

I already have a front sight globe coming, I have an extra buttplate screw and I think I have the trigger pins in my parts box.

I can't say how much I paid for these but I have less then $150 tied up in them including shipping. :mrgreen:
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Century Arms, You Fix-Em 91/30s

Post by Niner » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks for the report. I've wondered what these were like. I never bought any of the pig in a poke deals back years ago when people were posting terrific reports of rifles that seemed to come with few to no problems. Back eight or ten years ago the "good" to "very good" condition ones were still realitively dirt cheap. Good to see a detailed report of a current sample of "you fixems". With your skills you will have them looking and working good in no time.

You got me wondering.....how hard was it to get the bolts out, without the trigger pins in place?
Candyman
Contributing Member

Post by Candyman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:18 pm

It wasn't all that hard to get the bolts out. All you have to do is use a small screwdriver to turn the rear action screw, with the bolt closed. First remove the front action screw, then as you turn the rear action screw loose, pull down on the triggerguard so that the screw does not come up and hit the bolt. Once you have the triggerguard unscrewed the gun will come apart.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Now you got me thinking about rolling the dice. I bet I could do that.

But.... I will do my best to remain still until the feeling passes. :loco: