Some of mine.

The forum for comments about auto rifles with military connections.
Sarge
Regular visitor

Some of mine.

Post by Sarge » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:38 am

I have 2 BARs, A Mk I Bren Gun, An FN/FAL and a dewat AK 47(VN bring back/papers). Still looking for a couple, but at current prices I'll never own them.
I'd post photos, but don't see any way to do so???
Sarge
:rebel:
Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
LIFEMEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Some of mine.

Post by Niner » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:02 am

There is a link to how to post photos in the Announcements . It's simple. Just keep the images as jpg and don't try to load them if they are gigantic in size.

http://www.milsurpafterhours.com/bb/vie ... f=2&t=7653
Attachments
options.jpg
add files.jpg
open.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Yes Sarge, please post photos......... :D

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Sarge
Regular visitor

Post by Sarge » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:29 am

OK, here is the herd.
Sarge
2 US  FAs.JPG
FAs, squad.JPG
VN Troph 1.JPG
R to L.JPG
Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:24 am

That's a great collection.
What origins is the FAL? That was my weapon in the British Army till they gave us the SA80 made from MECCANO :evil:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Sarge
Regular visitor

Post by Sarge » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:55 am

It's the right one - an FN/FAL with a run fast switch.
It is probably the sweetest shooting select fire rifle I've ever shot! I can consistantly put a 5 rd burst in a man sized target at 200 yds.
Sarge
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:11 am

Yes a very sweet weapon to shoot - and easy to strip and clean and you could shoot it without the gas piston and plug if it came to an emergency. I loved mine..............I still have all my instruction notes for the introduction of the weapon to new recruits...........
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:57 am

Super amazing collection. The M14 next to the M16, or is that M15, with the C ration opener on the muzzle brings back memories. In basic training in 1969 at Ft. Benning we would lug that M14 to the range. It was heavy and shot straight and we got used to it. Then two days before basic graduation a bunch of us, not all, were selected to qualify on the M16. We weren't told anything but we all assumed correctly that we were destined for Vietnam and were going to get bullet bait AIT assignments as the next step in the process. We got a brief instruction on the first M16 we had ever held in our hands in how it functioned and took to the range to qualify. Compared to the M14 it looked like the difference between Sands of Iwo Jima and Star Trek. I don't remember if we got a few warm up shots before or not, but if we did, it wasn't many. I got lucky and qualified as expert...or at least that was what the guy at my shoulder writing down the score put down. The few of us that shot expert got a three day pass. The only problem was we had to clean the weapon to the armorers standard and approval first. Now you know how that went. The basic training armorer was paid to find dirt that superman would have had a hard time finding with x-ray vision.

Is that M16 with the prong muzzle flash "real" with the full auto selector? In Vietnam the early M16's with the finger style muzzle flashes were found to be likely to fail under field conditions because of lacking chrome lining in the receiver..or something like that. They were good for twisting open the heavy wire that went around the middle of C ration cases and it was always good to have one around.... as long as you weren't the guy given it to sling lead with. By the time I got to Vietnam they were nearly all out of the field in favor of the improved closed flash models that had been improved internally enough to stand the abuse of the Vietnam environment better.
Sarge
Regular visitor

Post by Sarge » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:06 am

The 3 on the left are select fire, the 3 on the right are semi auto.
The AR 15 is a very early rifle. I also have a later AR 15A2 with the round hand guards. The CAR 15 is all original GI parts that I sent home - stripped out my CAR 15 and shipped the parts home - that I put on an early AR 15 lower.

The problem with the M16 was not in the gun, but solely the fault with the ammo having the wrong powder for the tropical climate. The military in its inherent wisdom, once they ID'd the problem set about solving it in typical fashion. They 1. added the fore ward assist to the upper. This allowed you to jam the stuck round into the chamber and gave you one more shot before you no longer had a working rifle (until you disassembled it and cleaned it good). When this didn't solve the problem they then changed the powder in the ammo. Problem solved!

I have managed to qualify Expert with the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14 & M16. Only got 2nd best with the stupid ass 45 auto because I had to shoot it the Army Way. With my 45 shooting like I was used to I would most likely have also qualified Expert, but ---
Sarge
:rebel:
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:20 am

That M16 I fired that one day in basic was the only one I fired again until I was sent to the infantry as part of an FO team in Vietnam and i only fired it to see if it would work once or twice. My MOS was 13E20 and all of my AIT was about learning how to compute arty firing data and the theory of how it was directed. Shooting rifles wasn't going to be my job unless as a last resort. The radio handset and my voice was my weapon as it turned out when I was sent to the infantry. The only part of AIT training that did me much good was learning the basics of how arty worked...except it didn't teach the experience of directing danger close fire at night with only the compass in your head and an ear for dead metal as a sign it was close enough.