Got an M1 Carbine today

The forum for comments about auto rifles with military connections.
Niner
Site Admin

Got an M1 Carbine today

Post by Niner » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:59 pm

It's not a "real" one. Not a military issue but one made by Universal. But I didn't pay but about half as much for it either. Maybe I should have held out for a more collectable model, but I couldn't turn it down.
Attachments
M1c1.jpg
M1c2.jpg
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:49 am

What has happened to the woodwork in the bottom photo Robert?

Joe
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:33 am

Looks like the stain didn't take for some reason. The stock is not repaired in any way. It also doesn't look as noticable as the picture makes it seem.

As it is not particularly collectible, I may refinish the stock if I get a lot of time on my hands with nothing better to do.
sunray
Contributing Member

Post by sunray » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:05 pm

Looks like it's an early one too. Take off the stock, if there's only one operating slide spring, that's good. That means it is an early copy. Two is bad. A stamped op slide is bad too.

The stock is kind of odd looking. I wonder if somebody decided to refinish it and lost interest.
Spelling and grammar always count.
Niner
Site Admin

Took it for a test run today

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:06 pm

A real hoot! Shot a real tight group at short distances. Took some adjusting to move the point of aim to the center of the target. But by the time I shot up most of the $16 worth of Ammo it was there. I ordered some more for half the price when I got home. :lol:

Sunray, didn't know exactly what you meant by two springs on the op slide, but if this is what you meant in the pictures, guess there is only one spring. The operation handle and rod look machined too.
Attachments
spring1.jpg
spring2.jpg
sunray
Contributing Member

Post by sunray » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:39 am

"...if this is what you meant in the pictures..." Exactly. You have an early model in great condition. You should be able to use most milsurp parts should you ever need any. Mind you, I've never had to change any part on my Plainfield in the 30 years I've had it. Never had a lick of trouble a bath didn't fix.

If you're reloading(if you're not you will be sooner or later), Speer 110 grain HP's with IMR4227 work extremely well. My Plainfield's load of 14.5 grains is accurate and will blow a hole in a ground hog the size of a grapefruit. 13.5 to 15.0(compressed) of IMR 4227. Carbide sizing die and mostly Winchester brass. Milsurp ammo has never been readily available in Canada. Wouldn't use it anyway. Handloads only.
Spelling and grammar always count.