I wasn't going to get one but...

The forum for comments about auto rifles with military connections.
TaosBob101
Contributing Member

I wasn't going to get one but...

Post by TaosBob101 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:08 pm

With all the "sky is falling" talk about proposed future firearm legislation in the US, I bought a Century build Yugo M70 AK. I thought hard about it, after my Cetme build from Century.

With trying to support my other calibers, adding another that seems to be getting pricey and hard to find may not of made sense. Paid a little more than I should have looking at internet prices.But I got to check for canted front sight block,etc.

It's an okay build, excellent recev, new barrel, ok wood, have a contact to replace the night sites.Bolt hold open mags.G2 FCG. Shoots okay , need to zero at a later date. Seems very well made. The Yugos were, due to the use they got, heavy enough to support the grenade launch mission. Has a nice rubber buttpad.

These went pretty fast off a dealer's table at the last show here. So with no large supply of 5.56mm, 7.62 NATO, 7.5 Swiss,etc for me to buy up in my area, I'll stock up on ammo for this.

Got two more year's to hoard arms and ammo, right ? :shock:

The wife shot it, did okay." It's heavy" . When I said she can use it when she wanted, I got that "Yeah,right" stare. But compare to my other AR's (scopes) this was easy for her to aim and shoot. That's why ole Kalasnikov designed it, right.
Attachments
YugoM70-2.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Congrats

Post by Niner » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:24 pm

I've been thinking of getting an AK also... but think I want one in 7.62x39 and not 5.45 or .223 or whatever else is out there.. Not sure which of the many versions from the various sources of production would offer the best value.
TaosBob101
Contributing Member

Post by TaosBob101 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:05 pm

This one is in 7.62x39. I did alot of reseach before I bought. I'm a happy new member on many AK Forums now... :D A good one is on AR15.com ,then click on AK 47. FAl Files has a site and AK47.net is good.

So in a nutshell - If you want a real good one,US made under a 1000.00,there are a few vendors.(Best look at an AK Forum for details)

Romo's from Century are cheap, but have the most problems to contend with later, Trigger "slap", loose mag well, canted front sights.

Bulgarian built kits and Polish kits are good. The Yugos are good but the barrels were/are trash. The Century build is on a quality US recv and have a new barrel. Folks like the Polish/Yugo underfolders. Me, I'll take a full-stock anyday. You just shoot better IMHO.

And lastly there are the Pre-Bans out there for mucho money. Many years ago I did have a Poly-Tech (ChiCom) Legend w/ milled recv. Cost me 500.00 in 89-90. Never fired it, before it was sold. ( Dummy Me :( )

Here's a Forum pic ..the guy has one of every Yugo ( Folder/Full Stock /RPK)
Attachments
3 yugo-2.JPG
ThePitbullofLove
Contributing Member

Post by ThePitbullofLove » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:52 pm

General consensus is that Century got their Yugo AK's "right".

Looks like a nice one.

Those NDS receivers are supposed to be very nice.
life is the crummiest book I ever read,
there isn't a hook,
just a lot of cheap shots,
pictures to shock,
and characters an amateur would never dream up-Guerwitz-1994