Hungarian FEG PA-63

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Hungarian FEG PA-63

Post by Dutch Mosin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:24 am

Went to Germany last week and picked up this handgun.
It's a Hungarian FEG PA-63 chambered in 9x18 Makarov.
The pistol is based on the Walther PP/PPK design.
Like the Makarov pistol it fires the 9x18 Makarov round, but the PA-63 is not a Makarov.
The Makarov and the PA-63 are two entirely different pistols, from different countries and they have no parts in common.

The PA-63 was developed by FEGARMY national arms factory in the late 1950's for the Hungarian police and military.
It was their standard side arm from 1963 until 1996.

The PA-63 has an aluminum alloy frame for decreased weight and a steel slide.
A small amount of titanium was added to the aluminum (about 0.05%) to increase durability.
The military model left the frame in the white.
Very unusual for a military sidearm to have a reflective frame, but it simplified production.
Because the pistol has an aluminum frame it weighs only 540 grams unloaded and 600 grams with a full load (7 rounds in the magazine).

I shot both the Makarov and the PA-63 last weekend and I have to say that the PA-63 produces more noticeable recoil than the all steel Makarov.
Once you get used to the light weight of the PA-63 it shoots extremely well.

Some pictures off course

Hungarian PA-63 by FEG in 9x18 Makarov

............based on the Walther PP/PPK design....

Pistols I shot last weekend.
All are chambered in 9x18 Makarov
From top to bottom
1) Stechkin
2) Makarov
3) PA-63

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin :NET:
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Re: Hungarian FEG PA-63

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:24 pm

I have a couple of them Martin, it's my standard CCW when I am out on the boat, light weight, easy to conceal under a Hawaiian Shirt, and real inexpensive ( at least they use to be).

I bought 4 of them back in 2003 at the SOS in Louisville KY, gave one to my dad he liked them so much, and sold one to a friend. Back then you could get them with 2 matching mags, holster, and cleaning kit for $99.95 each. Best handgun deal I have ever found.
Last edited by Miller Tyme on Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:03 pm

Walther, with it's PP and PPK design, has been copied probably more than any other design in automatic pistols. And although I prize my WWII Walther bring back most, the German MAK is my favorite shooter and it's Bulgarian sister that is identical is every bit as good. I also have a smaller frame Polish P64. It's all steel but the frame is narrower and the handle is shorter. Shoots the same 9mm MAK round though. It kicks pretty good and you can feel the kick in the palm of your hand when you fire it.

The best thing about the Walther design is that it is a snap to take apart for cleaning and doesn't require three hands nor any cussing.
Attachments
P64
P64
Bulgarian MAK and P64
Bulgarian MAK and P64
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Miller Tyme wrote:I have a couple of them Duncan, it's my standard CCW when I am out on the boat, light weight, easy to conceal under a Hawaiian Shirt, and real inexpensive ( at least they use to be).

I bought 4 of them back in 2003 at the SOS in Louisville KY, gave one to my dad he liked them so much, and sold one to a friend. Back then you could get them with 2 matching mags, holster, and cleaning kit for $99.95 each. Best handgun deal I have ever found.
Hey Walt, I wish it WAS mine but it's Martin in the Netherlands - an easy mistake because we are both good looking :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

Post by Miller Tyme » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:47 pm

DuncaninFrance wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:I have a couple of them Duncan, it's my standard CCW when I am out on the boat, light weight, easy to conceal under a Hawaiian Shirt, and real inexpensive ( at least they use to be).

Hey Walt, I wish it WAS mine but it's Martin in the Netherlands - an easy mistake because we are both good looking :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn I did screw up royally :oops: , just have you on my mind Duncan. :lol:

Correction made, I'll go site in the corner ( and finish my beer) :lol:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Post by Dutch Mosin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:32 am

Miller Tyme wrote:
DuncaninFrance wrote:

Damn I did screw up royally :oops: , just have you on my mind Duncan. :lol:

Correction made, I'll go site in the corner ( and finish my beer) :lol:
Walt, you didn't screw up at all.
You just stated that I am as good looking as Duncan.
THANK YOU.
Have another beer, you deserved it. :D

@Robert.
Very nice set of pistols.
I'd love to add a P-64 to my collection, but they are very hard to find over here.
Lots of Makarovs, Tokarevs and PA-63's, but hardly any P-64's
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin :NET: