Adams Mark III ('Model of 1872') .450 revolver acquired ...

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

GrantRCanada

Post by GrantRCanada » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Yes, 13 grains seemed like a reasonable starting point - IIRC I first tried that because about 14 grains or so is what I had loaded in some of the slightly longer MkI cases with reasonable success. However, I found that in the shorter MkII case 13 grains was "overfilling" the case, to the extent that it was likely being compressed too much when the bullet was seated. (Using the hollowbase bullet, I was trying for enough powder to flow up into the base cavity, but didn't want any significant compression, because of Hodgdon's caution against that with Triple7 as liable to cause significant pressure increases. I've only recently begun using Triple7, but my understanding is that, ideally, loads should leave no airspace but also not be compressed to any significant degree ... which leaves a relatively narrow "window" to work in ...)

When I realized that the 13 gr. load was likely still too much, I adjusted the powder volume down to what looked like it was accomplishing my aim without significant compression - and that resulted in the volume of approx. 10 gr. You may have to adjust that a bit, depending on your bullet configuration and seating depth. I was leery of the 13 grain loads, but tried them anyway - the noticeably greater 'bark' and recoil confirmed (in my mind at least) that there was too much compression with that volume of powder.
Grant Rombough
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Canada :CAN:
gtibbetts

Re: Adams Mark III ('Model of 1872') .450 revolver acquired ...

Post by gtibbetts » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Nice weapon for your collection -

I have two -

G Tibbetts
GrantRCanada

Re: Adams Mark III ('Model of 1872') .450 revolver acquired ...

Post by GrantRCanada » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks, Mr. Tibbetts ..... Can you show us photos of your revolvers?

:bigsmile:
Grant Rombough
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Canada :CAN:
The Virginian
Regular visitor

Re: Adams Mark III ('Model of 1872') .450 revolver acquired

Post by The Virginian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:56 pm

GrantR: :rebel: Good to see you on this board too as there is a lot of information you and the others share that is very helpful.
Member of the Southern National Congress :rebel: