Star B Model 2 And Sistema Colt

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Star B Model 2 And Sistema Colt

Post by Niner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Saw that AIM had some Spanish Star B's on sale for twice what I paid for mine ten years ago. But...it was ten years ago and the quality may be better too. Say quality may be better in that some, maybe mine, came from Russian stores and the Russians mixed up the parts ...like they always do....and some of the Russian offerings you can't slip the safety up to safe at full cock without pulling back slightly on the hammer. Mine has this problem. But that is the only problem mine has and some of the Russians are reported to have hair triggers because of the mixmaster of parts. This being said, I have no idea where the AIM offerings come from. Regular Spanish military and police pistols are more likely to have all original parts and should have no such problem.

Whatever kind of bastard my Century Import marked Star B really is.....it does closely resemble the Browning design 1911, although not as closely as the Sistema. The Sistema Colt is an exact pattern design of the US 1911 and in the orginal 45acp instead of the Star's 9mm Luger. Most notable is that the Sistema has the grip safety that the Star B doesn't. Both pistols take down in the exact same way.

One other noticable surface difference is that the Star has an extractor spring that shows in a slot in the slide. The Sistema has the extractor in the same place inside the slide but no visible spring through the slide from the outside.

The Star shoots just fine. But the Sistema shoots a little better and I like the 45acp round better for just about any purpose. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot if you buy surplus ammo ...significantly cheaper.

Here is where I got the information about the Russian Star B surplus pistols.

http://www.star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/b/
Attachments
Star B at bottom.  Note the grip safety on the Systima.
Star B at bottom. Note the grip safety on the Systima.
right side both.jpg
Star to the left.  Sistema to the right.
Star to the left. Sistema to the right.
Extract spring visable on the Star.
Extract spring visable on the Star.
Estractor inside the slide of the Sistema
Estractor inside the slide of the Sistema
Note Grip safety on the Sistema
Note Grip safety on the Sistema
bottom.jpg
Latch on Star B.jpg
Sistema latch.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Star B Model 2 And Sistema Colt

Post by Niner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:16 pm

I should have actually read the advertisement at AIM. Looks like they are the Russian pig in a poke kind. The price seems too high for what it likely is.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3StarB