British S&W M&P "Victory Model" .380-in cal. Revolver.

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

TomcatPC
Regular visitor

British S&W M&P "Victory Model" .380-in cal. Revolver.

Post by TomcatPC » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Hello
Here is a photo of my Smith & Wesson Military & Police Revolver , aka as the "Victory Model". This is in .380-in Calibre (aka .38 S&W), and I think by the number was made in 1942. These were supplied to British and British Empire Forces via the Lend Lease Programme.
Thanks
Mark

TomcatPC
Regular visitor

Re: British S&W M&P "Victory Model" .380-in cal. Revolver.

Post by TomcatPC » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:05 pm

TomcatPC
Regular visitor

Post by TomcatPC » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:08 pm

And here is a box (empty) for British (actually Canadian-made) .380-in Revolver Cartridges.

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:09 pm

That's interesting that it was Lend Lease. Does it say anywhere on it US Property like the Savage No. 4's?
TomcatPC
Regular visitor

Post by TomcatPC » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:22 pm

Hello
Yes, it does have US Property marked on it. On the left side of the top strap. I don't have it on me at this moment, but I'll look next time to see if it is marked "US Property" or "United States Property", I think if is the latter though.
Mark
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 pm

This is from a photo of what was my old carry gun back in the late 1950s when I was a Licensed Pistol Dealer and there were such things as 'Possess, Use and Carry' licences and a dealer was expected to stop any of his wares from "falling into the hands of criminals'.

It had 'United States Property' on the lhs of the top strap.
The barrel was cut back to 3 inches, spurless hammer and the rh front side of the trigger guard cut away and the grip rounded.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
TomcatPC
Regular visitor

Post by TomcatPC » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:13 am

Just checked and mine does have "United States Property" on the Left side of the Top Strap as well. Odds are I will get to fire this revolver this Saturday, which is a big deal seeing as I don't have a regular safe and legal place to shoot. Looking forward to it.
Mark
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:12 pm

congrats that is a fine looking example , it looks to be in very nice condition , complete and it doesnt look refinished as so many have been , whats it say on lower right frame ahead of the trigger guard ? let us know how she shoots for you ,

mine shoots off point of aim - think its the lighter bullet in modern s&w ammo , webleys and enfeilds do the same for me ,

technically this is a "pre-victory" revolver as the lend lease came before the US GOV order for their pilots of the 38spcl "Victory revolvers" that had the "V" prefix to the serial number ,
Reese Williams
Regular visitor

Post by Reese Williams » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 am

To get really nit picking about it S&W listed the Model 10 M&P chambered in 380/200 as the Model 11.

Most of the stuff that went to Britian had 5" barrels as opposed to 4" barrels on the 38 spl. U.S. issue guns. You can ocassionally find a 4" or 6" version with commercial finish and checkered and medallioned grips. They were just that, commercial stock that S&W had on hand and used to fill the order. The Brits were desparate for replacements, especially after Dunkirk and weren't at all picky about finish or barrel length.

The British 380/200 round is the same case as the 38 S&W round. The British round was originally loaded with a 200 grain bullet but it was later changed to a 174 grain. There are some molds available that will cast the right weight 360 diameter bullet. With the right bullet your Model 11 and any 380 Webleys or Enfields you have will prove to be pretty decent shooters. Modern 38S&W is loaded with 148 grain bullets and a light load to accomodate all the Saturday night specials made in the late 1800's / early 1900's so POA/POI is off. If you relaod be aware that 38spl bullets are undersize for the 38S&W (.358 vs. .360) and don't work very well.