Enfield revolver help needed

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

peterb632

Enfield revolver help needed

Post by peterb632 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Anybody out there taken their Enfield No.2 Mk.I revolver apart?.

When breaking the gun open, my extractor extracts....but does not retract again, unless you pull it out by hand & then let it snap shut, or bang it open real real hard. Shouldn't need to do either, & it is totally not like my other Enfield Mk.I** or Webleys.

So I found online a 1947 W,O,. booklet entitled "Identification List of Parts", & there is one part that I cannot figure out where it goes, & that is, "Spring, extractor lever". I figure it must be connected in some way to the, "Pin, joint", "Lever, auxillary" & "Lever, extractor", but I cannot figure out where it is & I am a bit leery of knocking out the "Pin..." until I know if this spring is going to zoom out & head for parts unknown.

So has anyone taken this bit apart, & did you have any trouble in doing so?. Any tips?

Peter
(in Ontario, Canada)
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Enfield revolver help needed

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 am

Welcome Peter.
I am sure you are in the right place, it just needs one of the locals to see this and I am sure you will have an answer.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:21 pm

I don't have a pistol like yours and have no experience with the problem you are having. However, as a suggestion, check out this company online and maybe shoot them an email. Maybe they can help.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_in ... cts_id/323
peterb632

Post by peterb632 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks Niner
Reese Williams
Regular visitor

Post by Reese Williams » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:24 am

There are two common causes of the extractor failing to retract on Webley and Webley-like pistols. The first is dirt or dried grease in the hinge/extractor cam area. Take the cylinder off then take the hinge pin out and separate the barrel from the frame. The extractor cam sits in the middle of the hinge. Take it out and clean everything. Be careful not to lose the tiny spring in the cam. You can use alcohol, acetone, mineral spirits or any other solvent. When everything is nice and clean, lubricate all the parts lightlywith your favorite lube. I prefer a product called RIG (rust inhibiting grease). Put it back together and see if it works.

If it does not, examine the frame side of the hinge joint, on the bottom. You'll see a groove that the extractor cam rides in. Open the action slowly and you'll see how there is a raised portion on the cam. It is supposed to push in againt that tiny spring I warned you about and allow the extractor to snap closed. Test by opening the action almost all the way then press up on the cam with your thumbnail. Often the groove in the frame gets worn down enough so that it no longer forces the cam up enough to release the extractor. Yon can lightly peen the front edge of the groove until it triggers the cam.

If this explaination doesn't make any sense, let me know and I'll try to post some pictures.
peterb632

Post by peterb632 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks Reese,
I will have a go this weekend & see how I get on.

It doesn't mke sense just reading it, but with the pistol in front of me & taking it apart while reading I am hoping it will.

Cheers,
Peter (in Ontario, Canada)