Webley MK VI

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

ian27
Sustaining Member

Webley MK VI

Post by ian27 » Tue May 15, 2007 6:09 pm

After much searching I got myself a nice Webley Mk VI .455 today. I did source a couple in England, but due to the idiotic gun laws, it was going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it brought over. The revolver is in very good condition with bright bore and strong rifling. Now the big wait for my Firearms Licence to come back!!! Took a quick pic with the camera on my mobile. Doesnt do it justice.
Attachments
webley mark 6.JPG
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Who's a happy little Ian then?

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed May 16, 2007 2:36 am

:bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed May 16, 2007 9:50 am

Looks good Ian. I know you are looking forward to getting it in your possession like a kid waiting for Christmas. You won't have to leave it at an approved range to be able to shoot it, like Joe does in England, will you?
awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Wed May 16, 2007 10:21 am

Nice!!!!!!!!!

One day I will add one to my collection too :roll:
ian27
Sustaining Member

Post by ian27 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:09 am

Niner

I am in the lucky position that we can still have handguns, and keep them at home. They must only be used on approved ranges. I can get pretty much any handgun I want, but I am not allowed semi or fully automatic rifles. The problem starts when you want to have more than one firearm of the same caliber. The powers that be say 'you've got a .303 rifle, why do you need another one?' It leads to some very lengthy reports trying to explain, but if you can justify it, it is usually no problem. I just hope that they don't ever try to introduce the stupid legislation here that they did in UK Mainland. Joe doesnt get to fire his Webley that often, and I am just thinking that it is a wonder that some enterprising individual here has not offered shooting weekends for guys in UK Mainland.

Ian
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Well stop wasting time Ian!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu May 17, 2007 5:42 am

And when you have finished with them send them down here and we can give them some semi auto's to play with!! :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Leading Member

Post by 24626151 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:30 pm

weekends in your corner have been offered before but a lack of take up seems to have killed them off. I had to deal with the one weapon per calibre rule but won them over with 2 x 9mm, 2x .455, 9 x .22 rifle, 4 x .303. I could go on but barring the pistols you might not speak to me again. I also have several sporting rifles and a double barrelled shot pistol. I must post a pic of that one day as it really is a curiosity!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu May 17, 2007 9:20 pm

Ian, thanks for the response on the gun laws. Just hope it doesn't get as restrictive in the US some day as what you in Ireland and the guys in England have to put up with.
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:05 pm

that looks like a very fine mkVI , glad you succeeded in finding it
ian27
Sustaining Member

Post by ian27 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:42 am

I forgot to mention that the Webley has engraving on the backstrap as follows; C.W.H Salter 6 SWB. I have checked, and it apears that CWH Salter served in the South Wales Borderers from 1914 to 1920. He apparently had the rank of Honorary Second Lieutenant. I have checked with the National Archives Uk, and I can get a copy of his Medal Card for the princely sum of £3.50. It will be nice to have. I really must do some more research.

Ian
Attachments
MK%20V1%20NAMED%20MAN%201.jpg