What do you think about the conversions of the K98 to .308?

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Niner
Site Admin

What do you think about the conversions of the K98 to .308?

Post by Niner » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:47 am

Looks like Century has an assortment of the K98's that were converted for use by Isreal to ".308", or probably more correctly stated, 7.62x51 Nato. Century is offering in good or fair condition rifles for various prices from $169 fair to as much as $249 "good" for what they consider the rare Austrian manufactured version. The less rare good ones are going for $199. They show German, Belgium, Czech, and Austrian K98's.

Ball's book shows some differences.

Czech, arsenal refinished by the Czechs of German captured arms constitued a large purchase by Israel. A few compelely new production rifles were also made by the Czechs in 1949 as I read it in Ball's book.

Belgium produced FN short rifles in 7.62x51 according to Ball's book, which would make them not exactly K98's I'd think. Maybe some other designation would be more correct.

According to Rifles of the World, Israel purchased an entire k98 production line from Switzerland and intalled it in a new factory in Ramat haSharon, now IMI but the production line was discontiuned after only a short production run in favor of the FN FAL.

Can't find any reference to the "rare" Austrian version.

Any thoughts on these rifles as anything to add to the collection?
Last edited by Niner on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:55 am

I have fired a 308 mauser and my freind owns one they shoot just as well as the 8mm version but the recoil is a lot less.

My freind owns a 308 version and the 8mm he prefers to shoot the 308 version because its cheaper ammo and easier on his shoulder.

As to collectabillity I dont know.

Id buy one to plink with if it was cheap.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

HAVE FUNDS - WILL OWN

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:27 pm

I wouldn't mess about - I would buy one to enjoy. :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
krinko
Contributing Member

Post by krinko » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Israeli Mausers have gotten expensive, around $400 sometimes---which is why Century is trying a second run of these "fair" to "good" examples.

They will be "good and rusty" or "fairly dark and pitted", if the second group is much like the first.

Some say they are out of Central America---judging from the condition, this could be correct.

Originally, Israel got these in 7.92X57----refurbished German 98ks, post-War Czech 98ks with the "winter" triggerguard and new FN production.

Conversion to .308 was done in Israel, sometime after 1957.

I have two---a post-War Czech DOT 1945 and another built on a G98 Oberndorf receiver from 1912. Had another that I let get away that was built on a VZ24 with the Lion crest.

Don't have the FN, but I'm always looking...

My Oberndorf is one from the first batch from CIA and it's OK, I suppose. Bore's nice until the last six inches, which are pitted, but I bought it for the receiver and Israeli-matched bolt.

If it's like the other rifles I have bought with marginal bores, I won't have it long.

Hold out for a VG example, if you can stand to wait.

-----krinko
Freudig wie ein Held zum Siegen
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:56 pm

Thanks Krinko. I can stand to wait for sure.